What's new

Difference in Touch Covers?

Nemesis296

Hi - I'm new here, but I have a question about the Touch Cover.

A few weeks ago, Best Buy had a model of Surface RT on display with a white Touch Cover and I decided to play around with it for a bit. The keyboard was *not* flat. The keys were raised up slightly and there was a definite "feel" to each key as you pressed it, and I swear it was a rubbery-silicon feel to the keyboard. I liked what I tried, and decided to order a black Touch Cover from Microsoft's store last week. When it arrived, I was disappointed to find that it was not the same as what I used before. The keys are definitely flat, and while I originally thought there was a felt-like material compared to the cover I played with at Best Buy it still feels different than what I was expecting to get.

No one seems to have any information about if there are differences between the *colors* of the Touch Cover. Can anyone attest to this? Is the Touch Cover different for the Surface RT than it is for the Pro?

I contacted MS support regarding this and the guy basically was the least helpful representative I've ever dealt with:

Mark: Welcome to Microsoft Customer Service Chat, Joe. Kindly give me a moment to review your question. Is that okay?
Joe: Yep, sure thing.
Mark: I understand you would like to purchase Surface.
Joe: Well I will be on Saturday, yes.
Joe: I purchased a Touch Cover to use with it from the Microsoft Store a few days ago.
Mark: I will do my best to assist you in this regard.
Joe: When I received the product it was a bit different than the demo unit I used at a Best Buy store.
Mark: Joe, you may visit the below link and purchase Surface with Windows 8 Pro.
Mark: Click here to purchase. <link to the 'coming soon' page for Surface Pro>
Mark: I hope that the information I provided is useful. Have I addressed your concern for today?
Joe: No, please re-read my last few responses. This is about the Touch Cover, not the Surface specifically.
Mark: Okay.
Mark: For this particular concern, visit the below link and contact Surface.
Joe: The demo unit that I used had a silcon-feel to it, and the unit I received has more of a felt-feel. I'm trying to understand if there are different versions of the Touch Cover.
Mark: Click here to contact Surface <link to Surface support page, which didn't work properly for me>
Joe: I tried that. I couldn't manage to get the chat to work.
Joe: Choosing "Accessories", and the covers leaves me with nothing to pick for my issue, and it won't give me the ability to chat with anyone.
Joe: Very frustrating if you can't help me either.
Mark: As a Customer Service Representative, I am here to assist you in finding the right place to get help with your concerns and provide resources to answer your questions.
Mark: I hope your issue will be resolved soon.
Mark: Thank you for using Microsoft Customer Service Chat. Please feel free to come back again. We are available 7 days a week, 24 hours a day.

Chat session has been terminated by the agent.

Needless to say, I'm hoping the community here at SurfaceForums will be a bit more helpful than this Microsoft agent was!

OP
N

Nemesis296

Thanks for the responses. How then do you clean it? MS said it's spill-proof but if it's felt-like, I dont see how that's easy to clean.

Also, my black touch cover has a soft material feel to the back of it. Is the same true for the blue/white/red touch covers? Pictures looked more they are similar to the smart cover for the Apple iPad than the touch cover I have.

TeknoBlast

I tend to not sit my touch cover on any flat surface that has liquids or any food particles. If I see anything, I'm smart enough to move to another table or clean it myself. So cleaning it hasnt been an issue with me. If I see any dust of some sort, then I just pat it off like I do when I have dirt on my jeans.

bosamar

The felt is on the bottom of both Touch and Type covers. Top of the Touch Cover felt like soft or semi-soft plactic to me.