What's new

Dell u2412m Resolution and Surface Pro 2

SKy2014

Hi everyone,

I attempted to connected my external monitor, a Dell u2412m, to the Surface Pro 2 yesterday.

It seems that I cannot change the resolution of the Dell when it's connected to the Surface Pro. It is set at the same resolution as the Surface Pro, 1900x1080. It should be set at its native 1900x1200 instead. Right now, the Dell monitor looks stretched a bit.

Am I missing some setting, or is there a work around to this issue?

Thank you!

LuckyL

Sorry if it looks like Captain Obvious entering stage but it sounds like the setting for multiple Display is set to "Duplicate these displays"? What happens when you Switch to "Extend these displays" or "Show desktop only on X" where X is your Dell monitor?

Monitor.jpg

GoodBytes

If I am not mistaken, the U2412M support 1:1 pixel matching, meaning that the image should not be stretch (unless specified), and just black at the top and bottom.
Go to the on screen menu. Under the full menu, go to: "Display Settings". Then go under "Wide Mode", select: "1:1".
That should fix that problem.

As for getting 1920x1200, be sure that the display is set as EXTENDED, and not clone. Do Win+P on the Surface Pro 2 to switch between modes. You want to select the 3rd mode from the top called "Extend".
If that does not help, that is ok. That is the wonders of the suckyness of Intel integrated graphics. Nothing new. To fix this. Open the Windows Screen Resolution panel. and be sure to select your monitor on it, and then you should see 1920x1200 as option to select.

OP
S

SKy2014

Thanks everyone! For some reason, I didn't see the option to change the resolution the first time around, after choosing the Extended mode. It's working just fine now. :)

carldosa

Hi,

I have a DellU2412m monitor, I attempted to connect my surface pro2 with windows 8.1 to the monitor using a minidisplay port connector to a hdmi cable to a hdmi/dvi connector to my monitor (this last connector hdmi/dvi, is because my monitor doesn't have hdmi in built in). When I connect my monitor it goes black. My surface detects the monitor but does not display any video.

Would really appreciate your help.

Thanks,

GoodBytes

Hi,

I have a DellU2412m monitor, I attempted to connect my surface pro2 with windows 8.1 to the monitor using a minidisplay port connector to a hdmi cable to a hdmi/dvi connector to my monitor (this last connector hdmi/dvi, is because my monitor doesn't have hdmi in built in). When I connect my monitor it goes black. My surface detects the monitor but does not display any video.

Would really appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Too many adapters.
I don't think this would normally work, I would be highly surprised if it works.

Get a mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable. Your monitor has a full size DisplayPort.
If you are using it, then get a miniDP to DVI.