What's new

dead typecovers

danmc

why have so many people had trouble with their type covers since mid 2017? Mine pefectly OK one day - totally dead the next! It is not detected in device manager. My SP3 is now junk as a work tool.

Update history says keyboard driver 1.1.504.0 successfully installed on25th of August.

Microsoft obviously not taking notice of this forum, can someone please get them to look at this problem.

People have tried to attach new keyboards but they don't work either so the keyboard is not the problem.

*** found on internet:

Microsoft today issued a big set of firmware updates for Surface Pro 3, all of which are related to supporting the new Surface Pro Type Cover and Surface Pro Signature Type Cover.

Posted on August 24, 2017 by Paul Thurrott

could this have killed my device on the 25th????

Last edited:

ScottyS

I agree. I had my SP3 stop recognizing the type cover March 2016 (my type cover worked on other SP3s and new type cover wouldn't work on mine so MS store gave me a "new" (refurb) SP3) but I agree there's been a lot of threads lately about this problem.

OP
D

danmc

STILL finding people who believe the problem is related to an update.

from elsewhere in the forum -

"This happened about 1 day after updating ..... " Rc73, Aug 16, 2017

Why isn't microsoft investigating this update ?????????????

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Meaning what? this is the place for SP3 isn't it?

The update was done on an SP3!
We are an enthusiasts forum not officially endorsed by Microsoft - the post above is from the Official MS Support Board.

PinkPotato

Question:

Tried the following:
  • Two-button reset.
  • Reset PC under Recovery options
  • Detach and reattach type cover
  • Cleaning type cover contacts
  • "reinstalling driver in Device Manager" - However, Type cover is not found under "Keyboard" tab
The only time it worked was when the Surface Pro 3 drained its battery to 0%. Then I plugged in the charger, the keyboard worked for awhile. (Just like a similar post awhile back). The keyboard stops working again after Surface Pro 3 is recharged to full.

The type cover keyboard only stopped working after a recent update. I have a friend that bought the Surface Pro 3 a year after I did, also experiencing the EXACT same problem (type cover not working at all after recent update).

-keyboard does not work even after booting to UEFI.
--------------------------------------------

Reply by Community Mod:

This is the first time I've seen anyone post about a connection to the battery state. I've sent this in to an internal contact, but I don't know if/when I will hear back or if this is a good clue for them.

Right now, the only real immediate option is to contact support https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13948/global-customer-service-phone-numbers and most likely exchange your Surface. The cost to do this through Microsoft may be more than shopping around yourself for a refurb from a known vendor with a good reputation. I've not seen anyone be successful using a recovery image if the keyboard also does not work in the UEFI.

I wish I had a better "answer" for you. I keep pinging an internal contact on this.

permaper

Question:

Tried the following:
  • Two-button reset.
  • Reset PC under Recovery options
  • Detach and reattach type cover
  • Cleaning type cover contacts
  • "reinstalling driver in Device Manager" - However, Type cover is not found under "Keyboard"

I have the same experience. type cover totally dead suddenly 2 days ago. I suspect also after an automatic update. Tried same points as above, no result.
Tried with new type cover, not working either.

Contacted online MS support, but they could not solve anything. Reading the posts here, I understand that I am not alone, surely they must have heard about this problem?

Since it seems to be a windows update problem, just wait for new updates should solve the problem, or what do you think?

kmh

I have the same issue. Am loathe to send back to MS for a replacement at cost of over £500 for something that was working perfectly before the update. grrrr

htownmmm

Mine stopped working after the update also. None of the MS methods worked in fixing it. Went to a Best Buy and tried one of the new covers, which worked. Did not buy though.

I wonder if this "problem" is only from our point of view and not MS?

Ultimately broke down and purchased an NFL cover for $79 -which may be what MS wanted all along. I think it's interesting that only those w/ SP3 keyboards have been bricked by the update.

marty

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mine stopped working after the update also. None of the MS methods worked in fixing it. Went to a Best Buy and tried one of the new covers, which worked. Did not buy though.

I wonder if this "problem" is only from our point of view and not MS?

Ultimately broke down and purchased an NFL cover for $79 -which may be what MS wanted all along. I think it's interesting that only those w/ SP3 keyboards have been bricked by the update.

marty

My partners sp3 and original type cover are working absolutely fine. No bricking here. But then it seems that hardware faults are completely hit and miss with surfaces . If it is related to the update though, I find it odd that a reinstall of a version prior to update wouldn't fix it.