What's new

Data recovery

Amstersec

Hello all,

I have a problem with a Surface Pro5 at work. When it boot, it can't find a hard drive. We chose to try to recover data before throwing the Surface or try to find a new hd.

But here it is : I found a tutorial to open the Surface and saw there is no way to replace the old hd. Can I still get the actual hd and try to recover data from it ? How ?

I can't find the hard drive or where he is, please can you help me ?

Kind Regards

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hello all,

I have a problem with a Surface Pro5 at work. When it boot, it can't find a hard drive. We chose to try to recover data before throwing the Surface or try to find a new hd.

But here it is : I found a tutorial to open the Surface and saw there is no way to replace the old hd. Can I still get the actual hd and try to recover data from it ? How ?

I can't find the hard drive or where he is, please can you help me ?

Kind Regards
Check out how to disassemble the Surface Pro from iFixIt, it's not for the faint of heart. It will also void your warranty, but once you crack the case the SSD is a standard M2 PCIe, so that will be straight forward, the only locker is going to the Disk Encryption on the SSD. You should have a recovery key for to unlock the drive.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The 2017 Surface Pro has a BGA SSD meaning it's a single chip (ball grid array) soldered to the motherboard. removal by mere mortals is impractical and could only be done by magicians. Even if you could remove it then you'd have to mount it on something to make it accessible.

Your best hope would be drive recovery software on a Bootable USB.

This issue highlights the importance of backups or syncing data to an external source or only storing user data on network or cloud storage with this type of device.