What's new

Custom On-screen keyboard

cdf3

1) Open Charms Menu
2) Search for 'Control Panel'
3) Open Control Panel and click on the green link for 'Ease of Access'
4) On the next screen click on the green link for 'Ease of Access Center'
5) On the next screen scroll down to the bottom and click on the link for 'Make touch and tablets easier to use'
6) On the drop down menu, change 'Narrator' to 'On-screen keyboard,
7) Click Apply and OK
8) To access the custom keyboard Press and hold the Windows Button on bezel of the Surface Pro, and the Volume Up button at the same time.
9) Press the Options button on the On-Screen keyboard to change settings (Click sound on or off, Show numeric pad, etc.). *Press NumLock to switch between Navigation Keys and Number Keys if numeric key pad is enabled.

uploadfromtaptalk1401722369778.jpg

martyh1

Great tip! You can also add the standard keyboard layout to the available touch keyboards by following the instructions here:
Touch Keyboard - Add Standard Keyboard Layout in Windows 8. Note that those instructions might be out of date. For me it was go to "pc and devices" from "pc settings" (charms bar). Then select "Typing". Now you can select "Add the standard keyboard layout as a touch keyboard option".

OP
cdf3

cdf3

Great tip! You can also add the standard keyboard layout to the available touch keyboards by following the instructions here:
Touch Keyboard - Add Standard Keyboard Layout in Windows 8. Note that those instructions might be out of date. For me it was go to "pc and devices" from "pc settings" (charms bar). Then select "Typing". Now you can select "Add the standard keyboard layout as a touch keyboard option".

Thanks for the tip. I've always wondered why the grated out keyboard wasn't available. The Standard Keyboard is missing a Home key. Is there a shortcut for Home using the Standard Keyboard?
I've found the other On-Screen useful while web surfing. After scrolling down the page, for instance on the Facebook website. I can press and hold the Windows Logo on the bezel, along with the up volume button, to access the keyboard. I press the Home button to jump back to the top of the web page, then quickly exit out of the keyboard.