What's new

Cursor Jumps Around

Yes, always attached the keyboard when doing updates. So, if this is an issue with the OS, no need to spend money on a new Bluetooth keyboard, huh?
No :), it's actually an issue with the MS Bluetooth adapter. It seemingly was designed with the older covers in mind.

I tried to swipe from the sides and it doesn't seem to work via the adapter. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?
That just confirms your touchpad is not in precision touchpad mode. In this mode most of the Windows 8 settings (tap and drag, palm rejection, etc.) do nothing. Basically it all depends on the keyboard/touchpad firmware, which in this case sucks.

Trying a different bluetooth touchpad will provide a completely different experience, which may be better ... or worse. Manufacturers seem not to care about this, and the "generic" Synaptics drivers don't work via Bluetooth.

OP
clemgrad85

clemgrad85

I was typing an email today on the SP2 and a number of times in the email it would just randomly put the cursor elsewhere in the email I was typing. It also did it when I was setting up a new contact in the People application.

My wife commented 'that happens all the time on my Surface 2'.

You also get the one where an entire block of text will suddenly disappear which is something I've lived with ever since I had the surface.

Some of this must be Surface specific and related to issues in the Type covers. The SP3 when I had it did the same thing.

WOW.....you explained what mine is doing far better than I did. That entire block being deleted is sooooo annoying. Do you use the wireless adapter with the Type Cover or do you keep the Type Cover connected directly to your SP2?

InspectHerGadget

WOW.....you explained what mine is doing far better than I did. That entire block being deleted is sooooo annoying. Do you use the wireless adapter with the Type Cover or do you keep the Type Cover connected directly to your SP2?

I connect it directly. I honestly didn't even know that there was a Bluetooth wireless adapter.

I always blamed accidentally brushing keys but I think it is more than that and relates to the type covers. One poster reckoned they just solved that for the SP3 with the last round of updates. I'm sceptical of this claim as I have seen this problem with the SP3 myself so it is type cover related and so if the fix is there for the SP3, it has been fixed in software and would certainly have been released for the SP2.

Anyway, a lot of assumptions there.

You can use the undo function in word and in this forum so most of the time you don't totally lose text but it can be annoying.

OP
clemgrad85

clemgrad85

The last day or two the issue seems to have become a bit worse, so odd. I'm actually a reasonably good typist so I don't believe this is totally user error. I think I'm going to try the Logitech Bluetooth K810 and see if that helps. If it does, I'll just keep the Type Cover for when I'm using my SP2 as a laptop. I'm not counting on Microsoft to get this issue resolved. :(

InspectHerGadget

I would try another type cover at a shop. The type cover is really an integral part of the SP2. While I get issues with it, it isn't so bad I'd consider getting another keyboard.

OP
clemgrad85

clemgrad85

Well, the Type Cover (using the Bluetooth adapter) continues to be getting worse. Now, when typing, it will often just stop typing as if stuck. I have to move the cursor around to another area to start typing, or just wait a few seconds, and then it will start typing again. This is, of course, quite frustrating. I am typing now using a plug in keyboard (plugged into the docking station) and it works fantastic, or rather, as it should! No stops and so far, none of the jumping around issues either. So, my guess is this is more of a Bluetooth issue. I have NOT tried another Bluetooth keyboard, but might go ahead and try that as well. Anyone else having similar experiences? I have ALL updates installed.

iexcomp

I have a Surface Book which is showing exactly the same issues, it definitely is an earthing issue. As the Surface book has a metal body I can stop the erratic touchpad by placing a finger on the metal work of the case and it stabilises the cursor. It will also stop jumping if the power supply is removed so to me it indicates a fault in the power supply or the power cable - particularly as it is only two pin and has no earth wire.
Having said this I've had the Surface Book for 4 years now and this has only recently started happening - very strange - as an aside my bluetooth mouse works fine !