What's new

CPU Throttling issue with SP 7 Plus

Skipinda

We have a number of SP Pro 7 + devices where the CPU is running at 0.20ghz in task manager.

These devices are extremely slow and unusable.

I've tried the latest Update/Firmware install but made no difference

I've also tried try this reg fix;

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\intelppm and set the Start DWord
I tried 2 (load at boot up) but didn't appear to make no difference I set it to 4 (disable) but the CPU now is maxed at 2.80ghz.

Not sure what 1 does if you can set it.

Any suggestions please?

OP
S

Skipinda

Plantje

The Microsoft Community is completely different from customer support! I would say this is a matter of warranty!

Just go to microsoft.com or open the Surface app on your SP7+. That'll help you get to customer support.

OP
S

Skipinda

The Microsoft Community is completely different from customer support! I would say this is a matter of warranty!

Just go to microsoft.com or open the Surface app on your SP7+. That'll help you get to customer support.
I was hoping for a technical fix not to deal with Customer Support and sending the device off. These were working fine until recently. It's a config issue as when I change the reg key to 4 to disable it the CPU maxes out at 2.80ghz. However if set to default (3) or Load (2) it remains at .20ghz.

Plantje

Ok, fair enough... I understand that you don't want to send the device in. Especially if this didn't happen before. I'm sorry I couldn't be of (more) help

OP
S

Skipinda

Ok, fair enough... I understand that you don't want to send the device in. Especially if this didn't happen before. I'm sorry I couldn't be of (more) help
I've come across more devices with this fault now. I'm not sure if this is hardware, OS or updates. I've tried rebuilding these and it's the same issue with these devices.
These are i7 CPU's, I'm not sure why this is happening and all i want is a fix or work around as to why these are underclocking.