What's new

Corner of screen cracked. What can I do?

Kris

No surprise, I have finally cracked the screen on my SP3.
20151101_233331.jpg
It's just the corner so I'm not totally screwed, yet, but I don't want it spreading. I know I can send it to MS and have it fixed but that's like $300. I just bought the wife a Surface 3 combo from Costco and I am trying to save up for a Surface Book. So the question is what can I do? I was thinking of putting some like a zagg glass screen protector on it, to stop it from spreading. Does that sound like something that might help?
I use my Sp3 daily, I'm afraid that the crack will spread before I can get a Surface Book, also other family members want to use this device after I upgrade.
Any advise would be appropriated.

ChiGGz

Usually it spreads along the same line as the crack itself-- in your picture it looks like the line is almost edge to edge. If anything it will spread to the other edge but it won't go any further than that.

OP
K

Kris

Usually it spreads along the same line as the crack itself-- in your picture it looks like the line is almost edge to edge. If anything it will spread to the other edge but it won't go any further than that.
It is a complete crack, that is it goes from on end to another. I am just worried that it will crack in the middle and spread across the screen and that the crack could cut someone's finger.

ChiGGz

You could fill the crack with a small amount of nail polish or crazy glue to reinforce it and keep it from spreading from the middle. Obviously, avoid physically handling that part of the screen going forward.

B.E.McAllister

Mine cracked the same way except it was more a shatter in the corner, dropped in a book bag, I thought a tempered glass cover would get me through since it was only on the bevel. Not sure if removing the old screen protector or placing the glass on it but it cracked down the center and was then unusable because it acted like there was three fingers touching it at once. Needless to say, after a week without it my replacement is scheduled to arrive today from Microsoft.

OP
K

Kris

You could fill the crack with a small amount of nail polish or crazy glue to reinforce it and keep it from spreading from the middle. Obviously, avoid physically handling that part of the screen going forward.

Would this actually work, I would think it would cause extra pressure and make the crack spread

Mine cracked the same way except it was more a shatter in the corner, dropped in a book bag, I thought a tempered glass cover would get me through since it was only on the bevel. Not sure if removing the old screen protector or placing the glass on it but it cracked down the center and was then unusable because it acted like there was three fingers touching it at once. Needless to say, after a week without it my replacement is scheduled to arrive today from Microsoft.
This exactly what I am afraid of, I cant afford to have MS fix it at the moment. At the price I might be better off just buying a new SP3, since I only have the I3 model. But I am trying to save up for the Surface book, one with a GPU... My bank account is already crying.