What's new

Computer low on memory

spinachpie

For the past two days I have been getting notifications that my computer is low on memory.

At the moment I have my torrent client open, as well as 4 apps (I.E, Store, Flipboard and settings). I also have chrome open on the desktop with 7 tabs in total.

I am confused as to why this message is popping up. I have attached a screenshot.

I have 23gb of data free on my hard drive and have an i5 128gb.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    182 KB · Views: 559
  • Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    182 KB · Views: 553
OP
spinachpie

spinachpie

Just got the message again - although slightly different. Have even less files open this time.

I am not too au fait with the processes in task manager but have included that in the new screen grab

Attachments

• Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    1,012.8 KB · Views: 562

bluegrass

I notice the word "Torrent" in the ops post. As for a as I'm concerned the torrents, malware, & viruses or synonymous. I would highly recommend that you run Malwarebytes on your Surface. It will probably come up with a bunch. You can let Malwarebytes quarantine them and try running again. More than likely though you'll wind up needing to do a reset or refresh. Sorry to disappoint you with my answer but it comes from much experience.

The other more hopeful possibility is that you had previously opened and closed several applications that did not release the memory when they were closed. You should try rebooting and check to see how it runs. Ya, I know, re-boot is the techs favorite thing to tell their user to try but it really does cure a lot of problems.

Liam2349

I get this all the time when I play Arma 3 - it's really annoying, my gaming rig has 8GB RAM.

It's caused by some software you're running or malware/viruses.