What's new

Cleaning your Type Cover(dirt, liquid,..., coke)

Olvrick

So recently ive spilled like 1l of Coke on my Type Cover...it has survived...God i like Microsoft for build quality.

After 2-3 days drying inside rice ive noticed that all my keys were sticky, i tried "wash it" using 96% alcohol...no go...tried pure Alcohol Denat., better but still not the same as it was before...

After that ive decided to use "play" method and it works like a charm. Type Cover became like a new one.

So i take a pack of wet napkins(good ones), alcohol 96%(or 99%), few needles.

Ive spilled a bit of alcohol inside pack of napkins, pressed a bit(just a bit) so rest of alcohol went away.
After that ive used needles and put wet napkin under a key, pressed on that key few times(10 or more), then ive push napkin left-right under a key and take it away...done!=) Key like new.

Same procedure ive used on every key on Type Cover 3 and finally all my keys were like new=)

PS: ive created a new topic, case while i was looking for a method to clean keyboard ive found few topic related to this problem but without any solution.
PSS: sorry for my english, not my main language.

I must try this.
I was streaming an Ultimate Fighting event and accidentally knocked over some beer on my type cover. Luckily the cover survived just fine. I noticed a couple keys were pretty sticky so I attempted to 'steam clean' the keys by running HOT water in my sink and just placed the cover key-side down in the rising steam. It helped a bit but the keys are still noticeably sticky when the device is cold.

I can't wait to get the keys back to new condition, thanks for the write up.

OP
O

Olvrick

I must try this.
I was streaming an Ultimate Fighting event and accidentally knocked over some beer on my type cover. Luckily the cover survived just fine. I noticed a couple keys were pretty sticky so I attempted to 'steam clean' the keys by running HOT water in my sink and just placed the cover key-side down in the rising steam. It helped a bit but the keys are still noticeably sticky when the device is cold.

I can't wait to get the keys back to new condition, thanks for the write up.
is it safe to "steam clean" type cover3 under hot water? ive thought that after washing it in a sink it will kill keyboard...

IS it safe just to wash it by hot water?

CrippsCorner

I'm pretty sure he didn't put the water on, just let the steam rise up to it... wouldn't fancy cleaning anything electrical with water tbh!

I did just let the steam rise up the the cover. I would not recommend it but in my experience as a MS Complete subscriber I had nothing to lose. Simply create an advanced exchange and viola, new type cover :)