What's new

Cleaning My Surface

Danja91

Hello,

I sat down outside on a concrete ledge and took out my Surface Pro to do some homework. I didn't realize that by touching the ledge as I sat down, I got some while chalky substance on my palm and fingers. I then used that hand to touch my Surface, and afterward realized that I had transferred smudges of it onto the back side of the tablet as well as the keyboard. I tried to rub it off with toilet paper and water; I managed to mostly get it off the metal parts (though if you look closely a white tint is still pretty apparent), and it barely comes off the palm rest and keys of the touch cover. Fortunately, the small amount that transferred from the keyboard to the screen when I shut the tablet did come off with water.

I work in a lab and have access to common solvents... how should I go about cleaning the Surface? I was thinking of trying ethanol or isopropanol but I'm afraid of washing off the paint. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

souldier

You can use alcohol no problem on the magnesium casing. Just use a small amount. I do it all the time and it does not fade the casing at all. After you use the alcohol, make a cloth damp with some water and go over it again because the alcohol can leave a bit of residue

TrentonT

from the Surface Support Site
Touchscreen care

Scratches, finger grease, dust, chemicals and ultraviolet light can affect the performance of your touchscreen. Here are a few things you can do to help protect the screen:

• Clean frequently. The Surface touchscreen has been coated to make it easier to clean. You don’t need to rub hard to remove fingerprints or oily spots. To avoid scratches, use a soft, lint-free cloth to gently wipe the screen. You can dampen the cloth with water or a lens cleaner, but don’t apply liquids directly to Surface. Don’t use window cleaner or other chemical cleaners on Surface.
  • Keep it covered. Close the cover while you’re on the move or not using Surface.
  • Keep it out of the sun. Do not leave Surface in direct sunlight for an extended period of time. Ultraviolet light and excessive heat can damage the display.

shadow.png
Cover and keyboard care

The Touch Cover and the Type Cover require minimum care to function well. To clean the keyboard, wipe with a lint-free cloth dampened in mild soap and water. Don’t apply liquids directly to Surface. Do this often to keep your Touch Cover or Type Cover looking great.
If the spine or magnetic connections of your cover get dirty or stained, apply a small amount of isopropyl alcohol (also called rubbing alcohol) to a soft, lint-free cloth to clean.