What's new

charge surface book 2 with powerbank via USB-C

unruledboy

Hi,

We know Surface Book 2 has been in the market for about 3 years, and it's time for the battery to die out. My SB2 i7 + dGPU just uses up battery in 2 hours after fully charged.

There are good solutions like BatPower ProE which is universal to all Surface products using Microsoft's standard surface charging port, but just more expensive. I googled many pages, including this forum, Surface Book 2 does support charging using USB-C, as long as it has enough power.

I just bought one power bank 26800mAh battery with 102W total power, supports Power Delivery (PD) up to 87W for USB Type-C devices. At first (just out of the box), it could not charge at all, despite the battery indicator has about 50% battery. So I tried to charge it to 75%, then plug into the USB-C port of Surface Book, and it works!

While I am using it (writing this posting), it charges 1% in less than 1 minute, looks really promising.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Similar solution here.

I have two Surface Book 2 (15 inch) computers. One of the units is about 3 years old. Sometimes I charge them with a RAVPower 26800mAh 30W PD USB C Power Bank, especially when traveling. Fully charges my Surface Book 2 in about 3 hours.

I sometimes use the USB C cable, and sometimes a Surface Connector to USB-C to charging cable.

1606733488122.png

1606733558328.png

1606733761580.png

Wayne Orwig

I have a 32000mAh pack with a 12 volt output. I have used it for a few years on my Surface Pro 3, and I also use it when traveling on my Book 2. Being 12 volt, it charges a little slowly, but that is fine with me.

OP
unruledboy

unruledboy

Similar solution here.

I have two Surface Book 2 (15 inch) computers. One of the units is about 3 years old. Sometimes I charge them with a RAVPower 26800mAh 30W PD USB C Power Bank, especially when traveling. Fully charges my Surface Book 2 in about 3 hours.

I sometimes use the USB C cable, and sometimes a Surface Connector to USB-C to charging cable.

View attachment 9445

View attachment 9446

View attachment 9447

I guess the beauty of my one that I bought from one of our Aussie e-commerce store is its Power Delivery which is about twice as fast as your charging time.

And I think any powerbank with PD will work. Really good to know we can spend less than $100 to prolong the life our surface products

OP
unruledboy

unruledboy

I have a 32000mAh pack with a 12 volt output. I have used it for a few years on my Surface Pro 3, and I also use it when traveling on my Book 2. Being 12 volt, it charges a little slowly, but that is fine with me.

32000mah, that's pretty hefy! just don't play games, as the charge may not keep up :D

Wayne Orwig

32000mah, that's pretty hefy! just don't play games, as the charge may not keep up :D
Yes, it is a pretty large brick. But it keeps my phone charged, and the Surface going, for a camping weekend.
I actually have not seen any issues with it not keeping up. But it does take a bit longer to charge at only 12 volts. I guess I am not a real 'power' user. Just some spreadsheets and minor software development.

Any idea what charge voltage the USB C to running at?