What's new

Solved Cant find a suitable video app. Does it exist?

John Sparch

So I'm struggling to find a suitable video metro app for my pro 3.

The features I'm looking for:

• gestures for seeking

• ability to change aspect ratio of a video (I cant deal with the extra black lines and I'd rather fill the screen) also hate zooming and clipping the video. stretch to fill is my favoured choice.

• can play all video formats that seem to be an issue for some players i.e mkv

Right now I'm using media player classic with my own custom gestures (pinch zoom seeking)

but I've been led to believe that this is likely to be sucking my battery away....

thanks for help and suggestions on advance.

kundas1

the only player I use is VLC media player it has all what your looking for... and it plays everything!

grumpy

VLC is great but a bit of a CPU hog. When on battery, I usually only use the included video app (XBox Video). It may be limited, but I have not found anything that compares to its efficiency.

OP
J

John Sparch

Do you guys mean the vlc app? If so can anyone tell me how I change the aspect ratio? Can't find it anywhere.

If you mean the win32 app then fair enough but I've been led to believe it'd a battery hog as suggested above.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

bluegrass

VLC is definitely the way to go when the Windows Media Player won't open a video. I don't think there is a solution for black lines with movies that have a different aspect ration then the screen your viewing it on. 4X3 if on the Sp3 screen. 16X9 on older Surfaces.

ptrkhh

Try PressPlay video. Ive used it since MS screwed up the XBOX Video app...
It has gesture seek (dragging vertically on the left)
Fill mode (oddly called "Touch from Outside")
The compatibility is at least on par with XBOX Video. I cant test compatibility since all my videos play fine over both players.

OP
J

John Sparch

Gom player is a MUI App up to that task....

This app is perfect. You've made me a happy man. Even has a simple interface too. Thanks for your reply.

Try PressPlay video. Ive used it since MS screwed up the XBOX Video app...
It has gesture seek (dragging vertically on the left)
Fill mode (oddly called "Touch from Outside")
The compatibility is at least on par with XBOX Video. I cant test compatibility since all my videos play fine over both players.

Honourable mention for this app. It achieves a lot of what i wanted but touch from outside unfortunately clips the video. An email to the developer to add stretch will mean Ill keep it in mind In the future. Thanks again for your input.