What's new

Can't detach screen in clipboard mode

mflori

Hi everybody.
After hours of searching the web, I decided to ask my question here. The Surface Book (i5) is great, but every time I detach the screen (using either the detach icon in the system tray or the detach button) and I turn it around to use it in clipboard mode, I can't detach it in any other way than using the paperclip. The detach icon is grey, inactive. When the question appears whether it should switch to tablet mode, it doesn't make a difference if I answer yes or no. The detach button is inactive. All applications are closed, gpu isn't busy at all. The icon is not hidden in the settings menu. How can the screen be detached in clipboard mode? Another strange thing is that it doesn't detect battery 2, should that be fixed too? I can use the screen on it's own for about three hours.
I hope you can tell me how to fix this.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hi everybody.
After hours of searching the web, I decided to ask my question here. The Surface Book (i5) is great, but every time I detach the screen (using either the detach icon in the system tray or the detach button) and I turn it around to use it in clipboard mode, I can't detach it in any other way than using the paperclip. The detach icon is grey, inactive. When the question appears whether it should switch to tablet mode, it doesn't make a difference if I answer yes or no. The detach button is inactive. All applications are closed, gpu isn't busy at all. The icon is not hidden in the settings menu. How can the screen be detached in clipboard mode? Another strange thing is that it doesn't detect battery 2, should that be fixed too? I can use the screen on it's own for about three hours.
I hope you can tell me how to fix this.

Try the suggestions here: My Surface Book 2 having issues with waking up? • r/Surface

OP
M

mflori

Thanks for your reply. I tried it all, downloaded the drivers for SB1, detached, rebooted, installed, rebooted again. Now I'm in the clipboard mode, but the icon is still grey, so no possibility to detach. Also the battery 2 is still not connected, which should be one if the advantages of clipboard mode. Any other suggestions?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
This is how my Surface Book was acting until I found a very small piece of vinyl in the connector slot. Took a very bright light to find it. Removed with a plastic toothpick. Everything solved in an instant.

Remember that you can connect your charger directly to the clipboard.

Check for dirt or debris in your connectors. I hope you can detach so you can inspect them.

Wayne Orwig

Also the battery 2 is still not connected, which should be one if the advantages of clipboard mode. Any other suggestions?

If the battery is not connecting, then the base does not appear attached. If it is not attached, there is not need to be able to disconnect it.

It sounds like there is a good chance it is a dirty connector.