What's new

Cannot zoom in or out using Chrome browser.

Microsoft must have put in some roadblocks to harass Chrome users. I test out the same webpages on IE and Chrome. Zoom works fine on IE, but totally nonresponsive in Chrome. I have no affinity for Chrome, just have been using it for a while, just a familiarity thing. I heard that IE is (or used to be) not as efficient as other browsers, not sure if that is true.

jollywombat

This has nothing to do with Microsoft, it is google that has to implement the functionality into chrome. Pinch to zoom and any other touch gestures are not just a system implemented function applied to all applications.

MickeyLittle

Microsoft must have put in some roadblocks to harass Chrome users. I test out the same webpages on IE and Chrome. Zoom works fine on IE, but totally nonresponsive in Chrome. I have no affinity for Chrome, just have been using it for a while, just a familiarity thing. I heard that IE is (or used to be) not as efficient as other browsers, not sure if that is true.

Here is another current thread going about Chrome and different settings that you can change to help with it but for me so far it is IE all the way!

http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/microsoft-surface-pro-2/7698-chrome-windows-8-mode.html

Thanks for that link. I'll just learn to use IE. I like trying out new stuff. Chrome's pinch to zoom function worked very well when I still had the Google Nexus 10.

xGary

Go to Chrome://Flags and enable "Pinch Scale".

Other things to enable:
-"Enable touch events"
-"Touch Optimized UI"

To fix the DPI issue, either enable "HiDPI Support" in flags or right click on Chrome Icon > Properties > Compatibility > Check "Disable displaying scaling for high DPI". Those two options provide different results so you might want to see which one you like.

beq

Go to Chrome://Flags and enable "Pinch Scale".

Other things to enable:
-"Enable touch events"
-"Touch Optimized UI"

To fix the DPI issue, either enable "HiDPI Support" in flags or right click on Chrome Icon > Properties > Compatibility > Check "Disable displaying scaling for high DPI". Those two options provide different results so you might want to see which one you like.
Thanks for the info!

Interestingly I seemed to get the best HiDPI result by doing both (enabling "HiDPI Support" flag and checking Compatibility "Disable display scaling for high DPI"). In fact, enabling only the HiDPI flag in the latest Chrome v32/v33 seems to break things in terms of touch input mapping, whereas checking only the Compatibility setting leaves everything too small at the default 100% zoom... Curious how these 2 HiDPI options differ, and how they interact...

Anyways, I do appreciate the experimental touch optimized UI with bigger spacing, as well as enabling pinch to zoom. But what does the "Enable touch events" change as far as running Chrome on the SP2, if I may ask?

Last edited: