What's new

Can the Surface Workstation be far behind?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have the Surface, Surface Pro, and Surface Book so can the Surface Workstation be far behind?

From: Microsoft's Surface Book is what the iPad Pro should have been
We thought at first that the launch of the Surface Book showed Microsoft's lack of confidence in the Surface Pro, which it has long described as the perfect laptop replacement, but the exuberant, albeit slightly frightening, Panos Panay soon proved otherwise.

He made it clear that the Surface Book has its own market. It's not going after those looking for a kickstand-equipped tablet-type-thing, it's after those with their sights set on the most premium, powerful Windows device available, just as Google's Chromebook Pixel does in the Chrome OS market.

And the best thing about the Surface Book? As well as offering desktop-class performance thanks to its Skylake internals and dedicated Nvidia GPU, a 12-hour battery life and a full version of Windows 10 Pro, the display can be removed.

Microsoft made jaws drop when it revealed that the Surface Book's 13.5in display, which has a 3,000x2,000 resolution, can be detached, something which sees the firm imagining a hybrid device like none seen before. Microsoft hasn't just made a tablet with a detachable keyboard, it's designed a whole new hinge and attachment mechanism, something its long list of OEM partners have so far failed to do.
the Surface Book has its own market. It's not going after those looking for a kickstand-equipped tablet-type-thing, it's after those with their sights set on the most premium, powerful Windows device available.

Taken to the next level, the powerful workstation class devices. The VAIO Z includes a 45W Quad Core CPU and Discrete GPU. Lenovo, HP, Dell and others make powerful Workstation class laptops and Gaming laptops. By now everyone has to be eagerly awaiting what Microsoft can do to innovate and invigorate at the next level of portable computing. They have already shown some innovation in cooling technology and more will be needed to tame the power of the Workstation class laptop but I'm sure they can do it.

One area that needs tightening up is the drivers. They need to really up their game in this area which has so far been disappointingly weak.

Without further ado this is some of what we should see in a Premium Surface Workstation.
Quad Core CPU minimum. future 6, 8, 12 core models depending on what Intel makes.
32, 64, 128 GB RAM
512 GB, 1TB SSD
optional 2nd SSD.
2 SD Card slots
Ports:
1 docking/expansion port
2 DP 1.3
4 USB 3.1 speed Type C connectors with built in Type A adapters use either to connect.
Display/removable Tablet optional configurations depending on focus. Graphics Pro, Processing Pro, Gaming.
Premium Pen with 2048 levels of pressure sensitivity and premium features.
Ability to run with screen separated from base possibly with or without a tethering cable.
Additional discrete GPU/Compute engine via expansion port.
A couple nice expansion modules made by partners at launch.

kc912

It's an interesting concept. I think the struggle is the size and weight required to also be a portable laptop and tablet mean that we are some way behind putting something like a quad core i7 and 980m in a convertible. The problem becomes regular users believing that it should look like a regular laptop. I guarantee that there will be reviewers putting the Surface Book down because it isn't as thin or light as a MacBook. Despite the fact that the tech involved could hardly be fitted into a smaller footprint. I would love to one day replace my gaming rig with a Surface. I think we may be a few years off.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's an interesting concept. I think the struggle is the size and weight required to also be a portable laptop and tablet mean that we are some way behind putting something like a quad core i7 and 980m in a convertible. The problem becomes regular users believing that it should look like a regular laptop. I guarantee that there will be reviewers putting the Surface Book down because it isn't as thin or light as a MacBook. Despite the fact that the tech involved could hardly be fitted into a smaller footprint. I would love to one day replace my gaming rig with a Surface. I think we may be a few years off.
If you haven't seen the VAIO Z Canvas take a look...
Hands-on with the VAIO Z Canvas: A quad-core Surface Pro 3 killer
Quad core Haswell CPU @45W.
sony_vaio_z_canvas_release_date__price_and_specs.jpg vaio-canvas-z-tablet-windows.jpg

Intel Core i7-4770HQ, 8GB or 16GB of RAM, 256GB SSD, and a 2,560x1,704 12.3-inch display.
sony_vaio_z_canvas_tablet.jpg vents-100619054-large (2).jpg

sony_vaio_z_canvas_ports.jpg

Full Vaio Z Canvas specs:
• Windows 10 Pro
• Intel Core i7- 4770HQ Haswell 2.2GHz processor#
• Intel Iris Pro Graphics 5200
• 256GB (SATA)/512GB/1TB SSD (PCI Express)
• 8/16GB RAM
• 12.3in IPS display (2560x1704)
• 2x USB 3.0
• SD card reader
• Mini-DisplayPort
• HDMI
• Ethernet RJ45
• 11ac Wi-Fi
• Keyboard and digitizer pen included
• 63Wh battery

Evan with current Skylake CPU and some premium engineering this can be bettered quite a bit. next gen Cannonlake or following 10nm technology the future will be here before you know it.