What's new

Can I hack a Surface Pro 3 dock for use with the Surface book?

chobochobo

Apologies, a stupid question I know but I'm just wondering. The used value of the dock for the Pro 3 is minimal here and I was just wonder if there was any way to use it with the Surface book (just ordered), a little connector that goes from the power connector of the Book to the dock would work?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If you are willing to tear it down very carefully and figure out how to maintain the Surface Connector, then maybe (not likely). Even if you get that far, then the Firmware and Driver issues will crop up as the SB was never designed to use that dock.

OP
C

chobochobo

Cheers. Although I actually cheered when I watched the surface book monitor detach during the announcement event, I was actually happy with my pro 3 and didn't really contemplate upgrading. But then whilst in an unfamiliar environment, holidaying in Turin, I tripped on the power cord and the pro 3 fell on the floor and the screen cracked. Although I got an out of warranty exchange, I decided to sell that and get the Book. Looking forward to it, and fingers all crossed that I don't get a dud one.

Orlbuckeye

I'm not sure if this will affect using the dock but I read that the power supply of the SB4 will work on the SB without the DGP. But you need the 65W power supply for the SB with the DGP. Amazon sells the power supplys but has no mention about requirements of the SB with a DGP.

Here is some info on the power supply requirements:
36W power supply with USB charging port
65W power supply with USB charging port (discrete GPU SKU)

Last edited:
OP
C

chobochobo

Yes, it's probably a non-starter. Thanks for the reply. I'm debating whether to get a the docking station or not. I will pretty much only use the SB whilst travelling, and use a Hackintosh for my day to day stuff.

OP
C

chobochobo

As an aside, the Surface book is now for sale in HK. They also have the i5/128G/ GPU version that I wanted but wasn't available in the US.

edit: okay, it seems I was a bit premature. The i5/128 does not have dGPU, the HK website doesn't make it clear.

Last edited: