What's new

Can I detach the Pen Loop off the Type Cover?

Yastech

Hello, I recently realized that I was totally unsatisfied by where I placed my pen loop on the type cover. The pen loop has been on my type cover for around a month so the glue is very strong. I have tried to purposely remove it but I always feared to ruin the type cover. When I try to pull it off I see the glue and how it is firmly attached to the type cover. I do not want to damage my type cover from the sticky glue. I also want to reattach it somewhere else on the type cover. So does anyone know an easy and safe way to detach the pen loop off the type cover without applying any damage? Has anyone actually removed it after having it attached for a long period of time?

Funny, I want to do the same thing and have the same fear, lol. Been thinking about just buying an extra one from Microsoft for $5 and putting it where I want, and just having 2 pen loops, which would be better than making my type cover look bad from removing the original one.

Aeron15

Hi guys. The type cover won't get ruined but the sticker of the pen loop will be. Depending on how well you attached it, when you rip it off, the material of Type Cover will be partially covering the sticky part of the loop rendering it less sticky.

I did this last Saturday and I'm now waiting for my new pen loop. 5$ :(
So uhh... You can take it off without causing too much damage on your Type Cover. but you'll end up having to buy another loop.

Here's a pic of my type cover. I removed the loop after 3 weeks because I didn't put it in the center and my OC-ness has cost me 5$. You can barely see damage.

Attachments

• type.jpg
    type.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,175

mennogreg

It's felt, so there's not much damage it can do (in fact, I think it makes a poor bonding surface); anyway I had mine on for a month and removed it without any residue. Though I don't think you'd be able to reattach it (or if you managed it, probably wouldn't hold nearly as well)

Hi guys. The type cover won't get ruined but the sticker of the pen loop will be. Depending on how well you attached it, when you rip it off, the material of Type Cover will be partially covering the sticky part of the loop rendering it less sticky.

So uhh... You can take it off without causing too much damage on your Type Cover. but you'll end up having to buy another loop.

Here's a pic of my type cover. I removed the loop after 3 weeks because I didn't put it in the center and my OC-ness has cost me 5$. You can barely see damage.

Thanks for the pic. I can't really see any difference on your type cover, maybe like a 2% variance. Does it look slightly bald where you had the pen loop at now?

Aeron15

It doesn't look slightly bald at all. I could hardly tell the difference, if there is any, even if I touch it. I think the felt covering is thick enough so that even if a thin layer is stripped off, it won't be noticeable.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm going Loopless in Seattle to avoid all that. :D
I still have pens from the 1970's so I figure I can manage this one alright without any special loopiness.

InspectHerGadget

I have a leather carry case with a flap that I attach the pen to. It works well. I think any case with a fold over flap will work fine. My SP2 though I just clip the pen into the power socket and the SP2 design is better and just works.

OP
Yastech

Yastech

It's felt, so there's not much damage it can do (in fact, I think it makes a poor bonding surface); anyway I had mine on for a month and removed it without any residue. Though I don't think you'd be able to reattach it (or if you managed it, probably wouldn't hold nearly as well)
Well as long as it is removable without leaving any damage I could just buy another one from Microsoft.

OP
Yastech

Yastech

Wow that is incredibly there is almost no damage which is huge relief. However, do you think that if I remove the Pen Loop off my black type cover the damage would be more obvious.

Aeron15

I'm sorry but I don't know if it will be more noticeable with a black cover. the felt might be thick enough so that even if a thin layer is removed, there's still a few layers left.