What's new

C++ program needed for school

aeryn sun

Hello, all, looking for a C++ program to use on my Surface Pro for my programming class. I used Visual Studio 2014 but did not realize it was only a 30 day free license, though it was 90 day. At any rate, I have tried to download some other Visual Studio programs but all I seem to get it shot, programs that I cannot find or won't run properly on the Pro. I am a windows noob, really like the RT but its touch/pen support was absolute crap, so I went with the 1st gen Pro, much better pen action for taking notes in class. But now I am stuck in class with no program to write my C++ programs in, any help appreciated, thanks!

OP
A

aeryn sun

Smokey, what is x86? And why would this question be moved there? What does x86 have to do with my surface pro?

Fox, tried that and is no good, keeps telling me my license is expired, WTF? It would appear to be a "free" version for students and the like, but it apparently is not, unless the damn surface pro is screwing things up. I really like my surface pro for school, blows away my old iPad, but the software is just a major PITA,

RémiM

Just give a try to geany+MinGW.

I can help you to set it up if you want.

It works very well, I use it every day.

leeshor

Smokey, what is x86? And why would this question be moved there? What does x86 have to do with my surface pro?

Fox, tried that and is no good, keeps telling me my license is expired, WTF? It would appear to be a "free" version for students and the like, but it apparently is not, unless the damn surface pro is screwing things up. I really like my surface pro for school, blows away my old iPad, but the software is just a major PITA,
x86 is the style processor you have in a Surface Pro and you had a questions about a program, (app), so that's why it was moved.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
According to someone else that had this issue
You need to sign in to Community in your editor as well as on the homepage if necessary.

That should update the license and fix that. If you need to sign out after that you can. The license should be good for one year before you need to sign in again.

Otherwise it's a problem that you should address to the Microsoft VS Support.

OP
A

aeryn sun

OK, I guess I understand that, just not windows fluent. Fox, so I need to become a member of Community to do that, correct? thanks

OP
A

aeryn sun

Thanks, Fox, I tried to reload the program again and no-go, not sure how one would go about signing in via the editor since the program will not run, guess I could look into the homepage and see what is up with that.

OP
A

aeryn sun

Smokey, where is the x86 forum? I don't see it listed in the forums on this site unless it is listed under another forum...