What's new

BSOD on surface pro 3

nilsk123

Hey guys,

For about a week now i've been the proud owner of a sp3 i5 256 gb's of ram. I've been loving it so far, and its incredibly fast.

There are some problems however. When the system stays idle for a while it locks itself (brings up the lock screen). 4 out of 5 times when this happens, a couple of seconds later it will restart itself. Theres an error in the logs about the previous shutdown happening unexpectedly.

Besides that, i have gotten bsod's at various moments and with various error messages. It happened once while installing updates. A couple of times after unlocking the device, and then just some random moments.

critical structure corruption it said once, and some other time it was about irql, then once memory related..

Has anyone else been getting this? Do you think hardware is at fault or should I do a full reset.

I havent installed anything weird really, heres a list:

- Chrome browser
- Netbeans
- Java
- filezilla
- dropbox

and then a bunch of windows store apps

Edit:

From time to time theres also an error in the logs about the local bluetooth adapter not working properly and the driver being removed.

malberttoo

Hey guys,

For about a week now i've been the proud owner of a sp3 i5 256 gb's of ram. I've been loving it so far, and its incredibly fast.

There are some problems however. When the system stays idle for a while it locks itself (brings up the lock screen). 4 out of 5 times when this happens, a couple of seconds later it will restart itself. Theres an error in the logs about the previous shutdown happening unexpectedly.

Besides that, i have gotten bsod's at various moments and with various error messages. It happened once while installing updates. A couple of times after unlocking the device, and then just some random moments.

critical structure corruption it said once, and some other time it was about irql, then once memory related..

Has anyone else been getting this? Do you think hardware is at fault or should I do a full reset.

I havent installed anything weird really, heres a list:

- Chrome browser
- Netbeans
- Java
- filezilla
- dropbox

and then a bunch of windows store apps

Edit:

From time to time theres also an error in the logs about the local bluetooth adapter not working properly and the driver being removed.

Hi, looking at your event viewer, do the crashes coincide with the installation of any software?

OP
N

nilsk123

Hi, looking at your event viewer, do the crashes coincide with the installation of any software?

Nah, the first BSOD happened pretty much just after it came out of the box. It's really been sporadic, except for when it tries to go to sleep it almost always happens

malberttoo

Nah, the first BSOD happened pretty much just after it came out of the box. It's really been sporadic, except for when it tries to go to sleep it almost always happens

Since you said it happened right after coming out of the box... I personally would reset it to factory, reinstalling Windows. You can do it from within Windows, takes about 15 minutes or so, but you'll lose all your data and have to reinstall your apps.

I had to to do it on mine about 3 or 4 weeks into it. But it was a new machine after that.

If you do, after it's done reinstalling, give it plenty of time first to download and install all Windows updates. After it's done, then start reinstalling your apps.

Hope it helps.

OP
N

nilsk123

I have done a full wipe, as in back to factory settings. I installed all windows updates, no problem there. Didnt install anything else.

It's still rebooting when it tries to go to sleep. I leave it inplugged, come back 30 minutes later only to find out its been rebooting every 1o minutes... with accompanying errors in log

InspectHerGadget

Sounds like a hardware fault then. Unfortunately a fair percentage of SP3 do have faults of various sorts. Local shop had 2 that were DOA and 2 with current leakage out of 20 sold. Quite a lot. I would expect probably only a few percent to have faults out of the box.

Luismi

Hey guys,

+1000. I'm using a BT mouse and the driver is a MESS. I am also using a BT headset that I need to unpair and pair again everytime I use it. Any good BT software instead of the shitty Windows one out there?

OP
N

nilsk123

I just contacted microsoft support. They advise me to cancel this order and send it back (i'm still in the 14 day cool off period) and then buy a new one.

They say that if you send it in for repairs instead of doing this you'll get a refurb unit :S