What's new

BSOD and video driver crashes

sqenixs

Anybody else been having VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR blue screens and NVIDIA display driver crashes? I get the blue screens pretty infrequently but get the display driver crashes a lot. When it starts happening I usually get about 15-30 of them in a 5 minute period and sometimes it then stops. Other times my computer gets a blue screen. One time it just rebooted to the black screen with surface logo. I have the latest display drivers as of Feb. 2, 2016: version 354.15 and am up to date with all windows updates. Most of the time I am using google chrome when it happens, not necessarily playing video though. Not sure if that matters.

leeshor

Only about a dozen threads on video driver crashes. And you've been registered since November! ;);)

OP
S

sqenixs

Only about a dozen threads on video driver crashes. And you've been registered since November! ;);)

From my searches I had assumed that this wasn't happening much to people anymore with the latest updates. Still happens a lot to me though.

leeshor

It's still there for most people but it depends a lot on what apps you use. I haven't had a driver crash I could see in months. I feel Edge is a big part of the problem and some people have made adjustments to Edge to reduce the problem. I don't use Edge at all. My Firefox is rock solid.

leeshor

A few others have said that installing Hyper-V stopped it but none of the SP4s I support have installed it and they all work fine. If that works it seems a little drastic but good for you.

OP
S

sqenixs

A few others have said that installing Hyper-V stopped it but none of the SP4s I support have installed it and they all work fine. If that works it seems a little drastic but good for you.
I turned on Hyper-V (had it disabled originally since that was a supposed fix for the video driver error...) and re-enabled it, but that didn't seem to help anything. Since I have seen a few more different blue screens:

INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR - this happened right after I reattached the tablet to the base
DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION - this happened when trying to log in after bringing pc back from hibernate
DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE - not sure when this happened
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED - not sure when this happened

What I'm wondering is whether or not these sort of issues will be fixed by software updates or if I should reinstall windows. OR worst case scenario get my surface exchanged through Microsoft (I have the extended warranty). If any of these point to bad hardware (from my research it doesn't seem like it) then I would want to exchange it. I would rather not spend 2+ hrs on the phone with some support guy.

Last edited:

Seneleron

Given those errors, if it was ANY OTHER MACHINE I'd say you had a bad GPU. Just to be sure I'd download, say, 3dmark and run through the benchmarks, see if you can get it to consistently crash. That should tell you definitively if it's a hardware or software error.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
Oh I hate when the DOG is violated.

I usually avoid looking in Event Viewer anymore because I'm afraid of what I'll see.

Perhaps this is why my experience is so bad...

Log Name: Application
Source: Microsoft-Windows-CEIP
Date: 2/6/2016 7:38:44 AM
Event ID: 1008
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
Description:
A problem prevented Customer Experience Improvement Program data from being sent to Microsoft, (Error 80070005).

Sorry, no improvement for YOU!

Telemetry Schelemetry, nothing is getting through.

leeshor

For more information about this error, click here.

"click"

Sorry, no further information is available. :rolleyes: