What's new

Broken Kickstand?

tunepunk

My kickstand for my Surface Pro broke a while back and no luck finding a replacemenet made me model a new kickstand in 3D using the exact measurements from the original one. A 3D printed replacement is now shipping from Shapeways. Can't wait to try it out. I'll probably make some more cool designs and spray painted in the colors i like later. If anyone else want a replacement I'll gladly share my own model from Shapeways. And if you want a custom made one with your name or anything else just let me know. I'll post some pictures when it arrives.

Surface Pro Kickstand Replacement by tunepunk on Shapeways

Here's a like to the one i made if anyone wanna try it out. I made it from the Surface Pro measurments but i guess it's about same for all of them?

IMPORTANT UPDATE: Since the 3D printed version was not strong enough I'm no longer having it available to buy, but if you want to get hold of one anyway for modding and experimental purposes, please contact me. It's not strong enough to be a proper replacement but check later posts on this thread for info on modding.

Last edited:

CrippsCorner

Good effort! What broke on your original one exactly? Haven't heard of this happening much I must admit...

Hope the colour comes out okay, kinda sucks that it's going to be a different material than the rest of your machine though. Another way to solve this problem would be buying a case with a built in kickstand.

OP
T

tunepunk

Well, as long as the fit is perfect and it's durable enough I don't care if the material is different. I'm actually planning to spraypaint my kickstand to match the color of my touch cover, with my company logo on it as well. The kickstand broke off just close to the hinges, when I slipped and applied a bit too much force on the surface standing. I'm also making another version to be 3d printed in metal. A bit more heavy and expensive but ill add some cool design on it. Maybe some wire mesh or classic pattern like this silver box. silver_box.xlarge.jpg

CrippsCorner

If you could make it have multiple positions then you'd definitely be on to a winner! But I guess that's more down to the hinge mechanism than the actual kickstand itself. Either way, very interesting and I look forward to updates.

OP
T

tunepunk

If you could make it have multiple positions then you'd definitely be on to a winner! But I guess that's more down to the hinge mechanism than the actual kickstand itself. Either way, very interesting and I look forward to updates.

Not a bad idea. I'll defenetly take a look at it, because even if the Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2, has 2 positions, I'm kind of missing a third even lower position that would be great for drawing with the Stylus on a tabletop. Placing the Surface flat on a table you kind of get an awkward angle, and i usually put something underneath to get a slight angle when drawing with the Stylus. I'll put some thought into that and see what i can come up with.

Erilyon

If you have access to a 3D Printer, why not just print yourself a plastic prop and us it to create any angle you want ? A little like that :

91LfIMQFVBL._SL1500_.jpg

You could even make several angle by making different thicknesses for different sides.

OP
T

tunepunk

Is anyone here able to provide me with measurments and detailed pictures of the Kickstand and Hinges for Surface, Surface 2, and Surface Pro 2, i can upload 3D printet replacements for those too. That would be really awesome because I'm not sure If and what the differences are between the different models. I'm just happy to help out if there's any more unfortunate souls than me with broken kickstands, who doesn't want to replace the whole unit at a hefty price.

measurments_kickstand_spro.jpg

If anyone would be willing to provide this information like i'll gladly upload 3D models for all the kickstands of the different models.

CrippsCorner

I'm pretty sure the kickstand measurements are exactly the same on the new Surface models, it's just the hinge mechanism that is different.

OP
T

tunepunk

I just got the kickstand I 3D printed. Although the fit is perfect the rigidity of the plastic was not as strong as I expected. I think the only option will be 3D printed metal, although i'm keeping this on for now. It's doing the purpose, but i wished it was a bit more rigid. I'm gonna head down to my workshop now and see if i can alter it a bit, by glue some thin metal parts on the inside of the kickstand to make it stronger and more rigid. Here are some pics of the kickstand, as you can see this 3D printed plastic will bend a bit from the weight, but the overall function of the kickstand is good. It will support the Surface at an angle and closes properly.

The holes for the screws was filled with some Plastic dust but i cleaned it out, besides from that, a perfect fit. Only the material itself could have been stronger.

Shapeways can offer printing in Steel for this but is quite pricey, Around 100 Euros, so I'm currently investigating another site that can print in extremely high detail in Titanium. Which i guess would be even more expensive, but that would be an awesome Mod, and really durable.

kickstand_montage.jpg

If anyone knows any other manufacturing method preferably online, I'd gladly try uploading the model there too, or provide you with the 3D model if you happen to know anyone who might be alble to manufacture the part.