What's new

Bricked Surface Pro on Day 1 - HELP

stlbud

I haven't taken a chance in formating my surface pro yet, but the term brick is associated with arm type devices. As this is a PC there is no "bricking" here.

Tell that to someone who has a blown bios after an update. Yes, Klownicle there is bricking for a PC.

OP
M

maxrg

Just wanted to let you know that the Microsoft Store I purchased the origional Surface Pro from replace it with a new unit and so far no issues. I believe my ticket with Microsoft is closed but I am still amazed that no one at Microsoft has been able to tell me what happened. For piece of mind we went ahead and purchased the extended warranty for $108 including tax which gives us the ability to get it fixed or replaced in the store for up to 2-years after the purchase. After 14-days, Microsoft requires you to mail the unit in for service.

cie

I have the same issue with my pro, has anyone been able to solve it?
I don't want to just return it as I had just downloaded all of my personal information onto the device. Can anyone tell me how to wipe the hard drive, given this issue? I tried accessing the bios by pressing the various keys e.g. del, F8, etc. but that did not work Thanks for any help you can provide.

OP
M

maxrg

Cie

I spent hours researching this issue on Saturday and even working with Microsoft on the phone we could not figure out how to fix the issue. There is a ton of information written on how to get into the bios or do a factory rest but in the case of our machines, none of them work and the system just goes back into the bios on reboot. of the two technicians I talked to at Microsoft or the people at the Microsoft Store, no one knew how to fix the issue.

cie

Maxrg
Really appreciate your response, this is quite the odd issue and it does seem to only be affecting only a small amount of units, given the response in this thread and the one on the MS site.
Did you try to put a bootable usb drive to see if it would boot from the USB drive? I am thinking if I make a bootable USB and do an install through there I can at least reformat the hardrive. Thanks.

OP
M

maxrg

As a matter of fact I did. I have a known good boot able window's 8 usb drive I used to install w8 on my wife's previous laptop and tried various keyboard and button combination to see if I could get the surface to boot from it and it would not.

cie

maxrg, Thanks for heads up, guess I will have to trust best buy to wipe the hard drive before it gets resold as a refurbished model.

OnTheSurface

I can't stress enough that the VERY first thing you should do when you have a new machine is to create a backup/install for the machine. Corrupt installations can happen.

jomon

Dude, that's the secure boot menu. Windows thinks you're trying to tinker with the boot up process. All you have to do is select the Exit Setup option. This happened to me too when I was setting it up and I thought it frooze and decided to power down, duh. All I did was select the Exit Setup option and all was good.

After standing in line for 3-hours, my wife finally got her surface Pro. She was playing with Office 365 and the device just froze so she pressed the power button to turn the device off and when she turns it on the Surface displace the black screen with word surface in white, then that vanished and 6 seconds later she is in a text menu that says:

Security Device Support [Disabled]

Secure Boot Control [Disabled]

Exit Setup

Version 2.15.1226. Copyright (c) 2012 American Megatrends, Inc.

- The touch screen is enabled
- She has the ability to enable or disable Security Device Support
- if we enable Secure boot control the following menu options are displayed

Install Default Secure Boot Keys (pressing gives yes or no option)
Delete all secure boot keys

We have tried just about every combination of settings in this menu but after pressing exit setup the surface reboots and returns to this menu

- I have tried holding the volume up + power and volume down + power and tried various key

Any Ideas

OP
M

maxrg

Jamon

The the problem that I and other users are having is the surface pro boots into the bios and there is no way to get it to load Window. Yous can select exit from the menu but it just boots to that menu again.