What's new

Boot Surface to VHD?

SomeoneOnLine

I often boot my desktop PC's to several different VHD images that house win7/8 and 10. All different VHD files all work great for dual booting thanks to EasyBCD. I was hoping to do the same thing with my surface 3 tablet. However when I open EasyBCD it complaines about the uefi bios and disables EasyBCD's ability for me to add a VHD file to BCD. Is this a limitation of the surface having a uefi bios and I'm SOL on this or is there some kind of way around it?

Thanks,

~SOL

OP
S

SomeoneOnLine

After playing with it some more. I found that EasyBCD will let me add a VHD image of windows to BCD however no matter how I do it when selecting to boot said vhd I get an error complaining about winload.efi being corrupt or not digitally signed or something. After reading up some it sounds like it is because of the uefi bios the surface has. sounds like maybe the vhd needs to be of the GPT partition layout I think. Gotta play with it some more. Has anyone ever tried to boot a vhd image on a surface?

~SOL

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Or you will need to turn off Secure Boot in the UEFI Configuration....

Dual booting for me is a waste of time and space as I do all my Dev Work in Azure...

OP
S

SomeoneOnLine

I already turned off secure boot in uefi bios but didn't seem to help. The same vhd boots fine on other machines even one of the other ones has a uefi bios. :(

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I seem to recall reading an article that said you cannot boot a vhd with bitlocker on if you haven't turned it off already.

Last edited: