What's new

bluury apps (chrome and lots of others)

ctitanic

Frank, to stop Chrome from running in the background even after you've closed it go to Chrome settings, advanced settings, system, and then un tick the box that reads "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed".

I found this tip at the CCleaner forum. CCleaner has suddenly had problems with Chrome and I was having to force close chrome to stop it. Chrome is convenient but I am getting annoyed by all the background activities. The new IE doesn't get all the credit it deserves. It's actually pretty stable and secure. Unfortunately it just gets bashed as does all things MS.

Well that's a good news. Never is late to learn something new. What about if you install the handout extension?

DanL

Isn't that like saying "....the one thing that annoys me about Chrome is all the Google Crap"......?!?!??!

Right again LOL. I don't like either of them trying to drop tool bars on me. If you read my first post (#8), I actually like IE better than Chrome.

OP
L

leofric

Oh I meant all the other windows programs and features that don't scale well. Even most the tools in windows itself are plagued by this. I.e. try opening device management.

I gave up on making chrome behave in high resolution. I need to get my shared bookmarks over to ie now. I am gobsmacked actually that chrome is so poor on this device. Its like they just stopped bothering. Ive used it for years because its the best and still do on all my devices. Shame.

daniielrp

Oh I meant all the other windows programs and features that don't scale well. Even most the tools in windows itself are plagued by this. I.e. try opening device management.

I gave up on making chrome behave in high resolution. I need to get my shared bookmarks over to ie now. I am gobsmacked actually that chrome is so poor on this device. Its like they just stopped bothering. Ive used it for years because its the best and still do on all my devices. Shame.

It is very annoying considering it took Google about two weeks to update Chrome to work with 'Retina' display Macs (which was two years ago btw!) and yet they just seem very reluctant to produce a Windows version that works with retina (HighDPI) displays.

wynand32

I too find myself kind of stuck with Chrome, because of all of the syncing between Chrome and Google Now on Android. However, I'm also giving Windows Phone a try, where that's not so important. One of these days I'd give switching to IE a try, which I'd do today if the family wasn't stuck on using Hangouts for messaging.

malberttoo

I am also heavily invested in the Chrome ecosystem, and though it is bearable on the SP3 with the high-DPI hack, I'm not thrilled with it. Gmail looks terrible.

Does IE offer anything like what Chrome does, as far as bookmark syncing across machines, extension syncing, etc?

ctitanic

Question: Your Surface Pro 3 does not get extremely hot while using Hangouts?

Answering myself. The video setting has to be set to low.

Capture2.PNG

Last edited:

wynand32

It is very annoying considering it took Google about two weeks to update Chrome to work with 'Retina' display Macs (which was two years ago btw!) and yet they just seem very reluctant to produce a Windows version that works with retina (HighDPI) displays.

In all fairness to Google, supporting HiDPI in OS X is much easier than supporting it in Windows. HiDPI support is baked into OS X in that Apple supports pixel doubling, just like they do in iOS. So the screen can be set to a "lower" resolution than native, and on-screen elements will be larger and extremely sharp.

That said, I've enabled the registry fix and Chrome looks great on my SP3 (almost as good as IE), and I've not suffered any of the problems yet that other seem to be experiencing.

ctitanic

In all fairness to Google, supporting HiDPI in OS X is much easier than supporting it in Windows. HiDPI support is baked into OS X in that Apple supports pixel doubling, just like they do in iOS. So the screen can be set to a "lower" resolution than native, and on-screen elements will be larger and extremely sharp.

That said, I've enabled the registry fix and Chrome looks great on my SP3 (almost as good as IE), and I've not suffered any of the problems yet that other seem to be experiencing.

Have you try hangouts?

wynand32

Have you try hangouts?

Only for text chatting, and I haven't had any problems. Note that I'm also not saying that Google couldn't have fixed this so far; they should have. I was just saying that it's not as easy to fix HiDPI support in Windows as it is in OS X.

Not making any excuses for Google. In fact, I'm looking really hard for alternatives to Chrome, such as using some messenger service other than Hangouts and testing how well things (e.g., passwords, bookmarks, etc.) sync between machines using IE 11. Of course, Chrome is excellent for such things, whereas I've not been able to figure out if syncing works with IE 11 on Windows 7. Microsoft has some work to do as well...