What's new

bluury apps (chrome and lots of others)

leofric

Hi,

one of my 2 issues with this device is the blurriness I have with scaled fonts in programs on my SP3. IE seems to be able to handle it very well but chrome will not. Every UI element is slightly fuzzy, as is the fonts on the screen.

I tried installing Canary - which behaved well but is an early beta.

I did go in to the properties of chrome and disable its scaling (currently set to default of 150% on device) but the issue then is that UI elements and title bar are tiny!

One other issue which was bugging me that Chrome in Windows 8 mode wasn't displaying well at all. It had fuzzy edges and some UI elements were not displaying at al. Very buggy.

Any ideas on how I can get this working properly without fuzziness? I assume the whole thing is caused by forcing the app to scale its icons and fonts up using bitmap scaling instead of vectors.

Iain

ctitanic

Hi,

one of my 2 issues with this device is the blurriness I have with scaled fonts in programs on my SP3. IE seems to be able to handle it very well but chrome will not. Every UI element is slightly fuzzy, as is the fonts on the screen.

I tried installing Canary - which behaved well but is an early beta.

I did go in to the properties of chrome and disable its scaling (currently set to default of 150% on device) but the issue then is that UI elements and title bar are tiny!

One other issue which was bugging me that Chrome in Windows 8 mode wasn't displaying well at all. It had fuzzy edges and some UI elements were not displaying at al. Very buggy.

Any ideas on how I can get this working properly without fuzziness? I assume the whole thing is caused by forcing the app to scale its icons and fonts up using bitmap scaling instead of vectors.

Iain

The below registry hack will activate high dpi in chrome.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google\Chrome\Profile]
"high-dpi-support"=dword:00000001

OP
L

leofric

Hi frank. I dont see that in my reverie. Here is a snip Capture.PNG

OP
L

leofric

I have now fixed the blurriness in my chrome v 35.xbut its got some other weird bugs now. I followed the guide above in the tips and tricks thread by downloading a registry change.

The issue now is that infant pull tabs off the browser.it also has some kind of issue maximising and getting hold of the taskbar of the active Chrome window.

I guess high dpi mode is still a work in progress in chrome. Shame, I rely on this browser too much.

Edit, gone back to blurry mode, the high dpi change was too glitch. Lots of small things not quite working well. Seems strange to me that Google haven't fixed this yet, 4k 28 inch monitors have been out a while as has scaling windows. Its just not very well executed yet.

Last edited:

ctitanic

BTW, I uninstalled Chrome. It may be fast but it sucks a lot of resources, even if you restart your Surface and you don't open Chrome if you check Task Manager you will find few processes opened by Chrome. And don't even think about installing intentions like Hangout!

jedge

I have now fixed the blurriness in my chrome v 35.xbut its got some other weird bugs now. I followed the guide above in the tips and tricks thread by downloading a registry change.

Basically Chrome is a wreck in Win 8.1. And it's a bigger wreck on hi-res screens. Put the two together and it really shows what a great job Microsoft did with IE11. It's been reported many times and it's been going on for over a year... Google really dropped the ball on this one.

If i wasn't so tied to Chrome with bookmarks, shared history, etc... i wouldn't use it at all.
But these are issues you'd find on any hi-res or Win 8.1 computer.

Glad the instructions in the Tips & Tricks pinned thread helped. A lot of people aren't comfortable editing the registry, so just having to download a run a quick script is nice. Plus there's a script to undo the change if you want.

You mentioned in your title that there were lots of other Apps that were blurry too? Just curious which other apps you've had problems with. I haven't seen any, but then I haven't had it long.

Last edited:

DanL

BTW, I uninstalled Chrome. It may be fast but it sucks a lot of resources, even if you restart your Surface and you don't open Chrome if you check Task Manager you will find few processes opened by Chrome. And don't even think about installing intentions like Hangout!

Frank, to stop Chrome from running in the background even after you've closed it go to Chrome settings, advanced settings, system, and then un tick the box that reads "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed".

I found this tip at the CCleaner forum. CCleaner has suddenly had problems with Chrome and I was having to force close chrome to stop it. Chrome is convenient but I am getting annoyed by all the background activities. The new IE doesn't get all the credit it deserves. It's actually pretty stable and secure. Unfortunately it just gets bashed as does all things MS.