What's new

Bluetooth not working (reliable)!

mmo

What's starting to annoy me more and more with my SP4, is that I have constant issues with Bluetooth!

Again and again the bluetooth settings and/or driver seem "half-dead". I typically notice this first, when either the mouse (surface mouse) or the pen is not working. If I then bring up the settings, the bluetooth square is light-blue, i.e. enabled, but when I click it, nothing happens, i.e. it does not switch off but remains light blue.
At this point I know, it's not even enough to reboot, I have to shutdown (i.e. power down) the system, wait a few seconds and only then I can restart again and then I have a chance that BT is working again. Looks like a major driver issue to me. For a device so advanced and expensive that is a real shame!

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Something you may want to try is downloading, uninstalling / reinstalling your Surface Pro Drivers completely. Also - and this might seem stupid to some, but Bluetooth as I am sure your well aware - is a radio. Perhaps if you have other bluetooth devices running nearby, try moving the SP4 into another room, and see if you still get those issues. It sounds as though your drivers need refreshing - Download Surface Pro 4 Drivers and Firmware from Official Microsoft Download Center

I have had Bluetooth issues galore over the last several years, and usually bluetooth does not run intermittently - for me, it's usually all or nothing. Keep in mind if you decide to reinstall your drivers, you should have the option once you download the drivers, to REMOVE. I always Remove / Reboot / Reinstall / Reboot / Check. Please pardon me if you have attempted these repairs.

Have you possibly tried paring some other Bluetooth device? You mentioned the Mouse and Pen. Perhaps try a phone or headphones etc to see if these devices work. If so - well then I am sure you know its your mouse / pen, but I doubt it. I think it might be a driver issue(s).

Again that link Download Surface Pro 4 Drivers and Firmware from Official Microsoft Download Center

Let me know if this helps resolve your issue.

OP
M

mmo

This time the bug was really persistent and BT remained "lost''. So I went and reinstalled the SP4's BT driver and now things seem back to normal.
Just wonder for how long...

Thanks for the pointer to the drivers. I knew that but it just came handy...

Cheers,
Michael

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
This time the bug was really persistent and BT remained "lost''. So I went and reinstalled the SP4's BT driver and now things seem back to normal.
Just wonder for how long...

Thanks for the pointer to the drivers. I knew that but it just came handy...

Cheers,
Michael

One issue many others have is that the "Bug" as you put it - returns later down the road. Perhaps taking a look at the following link might come in handy if indeed the issue returns.

How to Uninstall and Block Updates and Drivers on Windows 10