What's new

Blue Screen: Memory Management

inthesahel

I have a surface pro 4, m3, today I was checking e-mail and I got a blue screen that said memory management was the issue for the blue screen.

I tried to run a memory diagnostic scan, but it keeps locking up.
Just before the blue screen in the logs I see this

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR1.

just after the blue screen in the logs I see this

The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device HID

Any thoughts? What should I do next?

leeshor

The first error looks like it may have come from external storage. SD card or USB device. The last time I saw the second error, just this week, it was a printer driver issue. Don't know how those could be related unless you have a USB printer connected and even that seems unlikely.

OP
I

inthesahel

leeshor-

Many thanks- I do not have a USB printer connected. I have tried three times to run an extended Memory Diagnostic, and it has locked up. I left it over night and in the morning it was stuck at 21% and I could not call up the on screen keyboard.

What do you think- do I have a memory issue-should I take it into the MS store?

leeshor

It doesn't sound like a memory problem to me, more like a driver issue but the one error does indicate there is another drive somewhere and that may have a problem. What other storage are you using besides the internal disk?

OP
I

inthesahel

I have a SD card in the back, I use this to store primary files on and put shortcuts on the desktop

I also noticed this in the logs files this morning

The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device (AND A BUNCH OF NUMBERS AND LETTERS THEN) SurfaceDigitizerPenPairing
and
The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device BTHLEDevice

The other thing that I see coming up a ton in the logs is this

The speed of processor 3 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.

and this one

The maximum file size for session "EventLog-AirSpaceChannel" has been reached. As a result, events might be lost (not logged) to file "C:\WINDOWS\System32\Winevt\Logs\AirSpaceChannel.etl". The maximum files size is currently set to 1048576 bytes.

What do you think?