What's new

Solved Blinking Power Supply (How to Fix)

dniezby

I saw this come up a. few times around the web so I figured it'd be a good thing to post this for people's reference.

First, if it's blinking, there IS an error. Contact support and they will send you a new one. It was quick and easy to get done and they're very helpful.

HOWEVER, if you can't wait for a new supply, you MIGHT be able to get yours running again like I did.

To set up things I have to note that before it started, I did have my phone charging via Surface USB Port. I tried everything I could think of to cause the power supply to "reset" and
nothing would work. I also have the issue where the supply cord is pulling away
from the magnetic connector. (IMHO, the ONLY poorly designed part of the power
supply.) First, I unplugged it from all sources and left it unplugged for a bit. That
didn't seem to do anything. ODDLY enough, something DID work. I plugged my
PHONE into the USB supply in the Power Block, THEN plugged my Surface Pro 3...It
blinked, then reset. Now it is charging and I have a solid light.

I don't know if it will last, but it does appear that the power block isn't
just a regular power block. I think it's a smart block and it noticed there was
some type of problem and shut down.

Either way, a new one is on the way and I did appear to get this one working in the meantime. I hope this helps someone else.

Sir_Fis

I saw this come up a. few times around the web so I figured it'd be a good thing to post this for people's reference.
[text ommitted]
I plugged my PHONE into the USB supply in the Power Block, THEN plugged my Surface Pro 3...It

Either way, a new one is on the way and I did appear to get this one working in the meantime. I hope this helps someone else.

Sir_Fis Says:
I can confirm both of of dnieby's experiences. I too was charging my phone from my Surface 4's USB port before this happened. I could do nothing to stop the blinking. However when I unplugged the power supply from the Surface (kept the power supply plugged into the wall) plugged my Android phone into the power supply's USB port and, finally, plugged the power supply into the Surface again, the blinking immediately stopped.

Additional note: I had allowed my phone to charge to 100% via the Surface USB before the blinking began. Not sure if that had anything to do with it, but maybe it confused the "smart" power supply?

adpeth

First, if it's blinking, there IS an error. Contact support and they will send you a new one. It was quick and easy to get done and they're very helpful.

HOWEVER, if you can't wait for a new supply, you MIGHT be able to get yours running again like I did.

To set up things I have to note that before it started, I did have my phone charging via Surface USB Port. I tried everything I could think of to cause the power supply to "reset" and
supply.) First, I unplugged it from all sources and left it unplugged for a bit. That
PHONE into the USB supply in the Power Block, THEN plugged my Surface Pro 3...It

So honestly I thought this solution was nuts, but I don't have the money to replace it or the time to wait for a replacement so what the heck... I tried it and for no good reason... it worked!! Thanks for the idea! Next paycheck I will order a new one, but for now.... keeping my fingers crossed!

Bazza

Yes, but this unplug, replug only works once.
The charging worked for a while but then started flashing.
The "fix" did not work again

Norm

I experienced the same problem with a Surface Pro 4 that had sat on the shelf for months and unable to charge using the MS Surface Docking Station.

Problem: Connecting to a MS Surface Docking Station overnight. The power light blinks and the Surface does not charge.

Solution: Use the Travel power adapter. It's dumb enough to charge the nearly dead battery in the Surface. Once charged, then use the MS Surface Docking Station as usual.

SpaceCoast321

I experienced the same problem with a Surface Pro 4 that had sat on the shelf for months and unable to charge using the MS Surface Docking Station.

Problem: Connecting to a MS Surface Docking Station overnight. The power light blinks and the Surface does not charge.

Solution: Use the Travel power adapter. It's dumb enough to charge the nearly dead battery in the Surface. Once charged, then use the MS Surface Docking Station as usual.

Yep, the battery was dead flat. Using a travel charger brought it back to life. Thank you!

I made an account just to add that THIS TRICK STILL WORKS. Dec 12, 2021 - surface pro 5.

I cannot effing believe this bug is still out there.

SP5 totally dead. Has been for a week, considering buying a new one or a new computer in general.
Won't charge on charger or dock.
I plug my phone into the USB port in the power brick. I was charging my phone when my SP5's battery died (the SP5 WAS NOT ATTACHED TO THE CHARGER).
Let phone charge to 100%.
Attach my SP5.
Damn thing starts charging right away.

Incredible.

Incredibly stupid, but incredible.

techgrl

I had this issue tonight with a new surface dock that I bought. I use a Kasa smart power strip and had no issues with the surface charger, but when I plugged the dock in and connected it to my Surface Laptop, the light was blinking and my device wasn’t charging. I plugged the dock into a wall outlet instead of the power strip, and it worked right away. I wanted to post this in case anybody is using a power strip. You can try plugging the power adapter into a wall outlet and see if that fixes the issue for you. It did for me.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had this issue tonight with a new surface dock that I bought. I use a Kasa smart power strip and had no issues with the surface charger, but when I plugged the dock in and connected it to my Surface Laptop, the light was blinking and my device wasn’t charging. I plugged the dock into a wall outlet instead of the power strip, and it worked right away. I wanted to post this in case anybody is using a power strip. You can try plugging the power adapter into a wall outlet and see if that fixes the issue for you. It did for me.
that is usually an indication the power strip is going bad. They have surge suppressors in them which begin to fail after absorbing X number of surges. I have a phone system that converts from fiber to old style phones so you don't have to rewire your house. It was plugged into a surge suppressor outlet. At one point the system wouldn't work anymore and the fix was to remove & replace the surge suppressor.