What's new

Solved Bizarre external display (dock) behavior

Pastymage

I have a Pro 3 on Windows 10 (1607 - 14393.82).

This behavior just started earlier this week as far as I remember - it's fairly consistent now, and beginning to drive me insane.

95% of the time I use the surface through the dock with an external monitor, running at 1920x1080 with no scaling, and it looks fine. The problematic behavior is every time I open a new window, or un-minimize a window, or switch to a different open window, the entire display will "zoom out" about 5-10% (everything gets smaller and fuzzier), then go back to normal. It takes about a second. I recorded an animated gif of it, hopefully that makes things more clear.

Please help, I beg of you. :)

WTF-WiggleZoom.gif

bluegrass

That is strange. You're lucky it only happens for a second and then corrects itself. I would try plugging the external monitor directly into your Surface and see if it does the same thing. That way you can determine if it is a problem with the dock drier or hardware.

Here is my version and build of my OS:
upload_2016-9-1_11-46-3.png

OP
P

Pastymage

Hmm. I tried that, and the problem stopped. Though when I plugged the display and Surface back into the dock, the problem stayed gone. We'll see if it stays fixed through a reboot, but fingers crossed...

OP
P

Pastymage

Looks like the behavior when you rotate the screen. rotate your surface pro out of the dock and see what happens.

It still hasn't happened again since messing with the mini DP - I'm guessing at this point it was just not quite seated or something and the PnP was getting confused?

bluegrass

Just a heads up on display port adapters. I build Surfaces all the time with docking stations. My boss general purchases after market adapters and not an official Microsoft adapter. I found that the adapters don't like to plug in very securely (doesn't plug in far enough to be seated properly} and I notices that the rubber cover on the adapter had a slant to them over the connector that was blocking the plug to push in all the way. I cut some of the rubber off and they then seated securely. I believe the slant was made to fit properly into the display port on the Surface but caused a seating problem on the docks.