What's new

Bitlocker "PIN on restart" not prompting after patch Tuesday

Rudy

I've used bitlocker's "enter PIN on restart" option for over a year. Originally I used gpedit to enable the option, and with the Surface 2 Pro I must have a keyboard attached to enter the PIN.

Last night I installed patch Tuesday patches, including 3172729. This morning, when I powered on the surface 2, I was greeted with the usual black logo screen, followed by a blue screen. Previously this blue screen included some instruction text, and a white area to enter my PIN. Today it doesn't. I went ahead and typed my PIN, and the boot up process continued.

I toggle the PIN option on and off -- I went to the Bitlocker screen and selected "Automatically Unlock My drive". Rebooted. And then used Bitlocker to restore the "Enter a PIN" option. Next reboot it continued to display a blue screen with neither text nor data entry area. Although it continued to silently accept my PIN.

Uh, anybody know anything about this? It's not fun to play "is it bricked yet?", and I intend to use the "Automatic" option until I see some discussion and resolution of the problem.

OP
R

Rudy

There's a useful discussion at

Bitlocker Screen is Orange with White Lines

The suggested fix -- suspend bitlocker and execute bfsvc (see above) -- worked for me. I did not need to uninstall and reinstall any patches.

I'd guessed that the problem screen was built into the BIOS, but apparent it is actually part of Windows 10. Who'd a thought.

Seems OK now.