What's new

Bezel Separation

jrr

FYI - Check you bezels. On mine, the top left bezel started to separate from the glass forming a slight gap. It was not very noticeable. With slight finger pressure the bezel would move into the right location. Upon release, the gap would return. Surface was never heated up from gaming or other environmental conditions.

Already exchanged at Best Buy. Now I have to re-install all my programs and development environments.

benjitek

Same thing happened to my sister after a couple days use, she didn't think she could exchange it for that -- was it an issue with the store at all?

killervette666

Mine has the same thing at the top where the plastic bezel starts and the aluminum ends, especially near the camera. This was a fairly common problem on the SP2's. I returned 2 SP2's in a row that both had the same thing, the bezel would be loose at the top left corner and make a clicking sound when you pressed on it. I think it's just the nature of the design that some bits don't get glued on all the way. I've learned to not let it bother me (although now I'm itching to maybe return mine). Also, you can save it, and then if there is a mid-cycle upgrade to broadwell, you can cash in and have a reason to return it and grab an upgraded one. I don't think it makes the case weaker or can lead to any damage etc....

ctitanic

FYI - Check you bezels. On mine, the top left bezel started to separate from the glass forming a slight gap. It was not very noticeable. With slight finger pressure the bezel would move into the right location. Upon release, the gap would return. Surface was never heated up from gaming or other environmental conditions.

Already exchanged at Best Buy. Now I have to re-install all my programs and development environments.

Can anyone post some pictures?

OP
J

jrr

benjitek - No problems with Best Buy store. In and out within 10 minutes. They have a 15 day return policy.

killervette666 - Great idea on saving for a mid-year update. I didn't know this was a common issue with the Surface line. I had never seen this occur on any of my other devices. I was concerned it would just get worse.

CrippsCorner

To be honest I have that on my second (original) Surface Pro. Doesn't really bother me though. The unevenness is even, if that makes sense lol.

David Puddy

uggg, this is not what I want to hear, I went through 5 Pro 2's because of this problem, it would make a creaking/cracking sound at the top of the bezel after a couple days of use. I returned all of them and gave up. Now I have an SP3 and after reading this, don't even want to test mine in fear I'll have the same problem , Again!!? I think I'll just play ignorant this time and pretend this problem never existed.

pcreyn319

I ordered two originally...both of them had it. The one I returned had it much worse than the one I kept. It is almost as if the kickstand is bowing on the edges slightly. I am hesitant to do anything about it because I seem to have a good unit and not had any other problems.

benjitek

...you can save it, and then if there is a mid-cycle upgrade to broadwell, you can cash in and have a reason to return it and grab an upgraded one...
I think you'd be waiting a while -- once the Broadwell version comes out, it'll be a good wait before those start showing up in the refurbs that are sent out as replacements -- especially for those who return non-Broadwells :-(