What's new

Beware of Bestbuy doing exchanges through their website

Kris

Bestbuy really screwed me over. They still have no stock on anything above an I3. Last time I did an exchange they ordered it through bestbuy.com, or rather had me do it. They said they couldn't order it at store level and it could take two weeks for me to get a refund since I paid with cash. So they but the balance on a gift card and had me order it. Tried to get a refund today and was told they would do nothing but a gift card refund. I demanded a manager. The manager threatened to not do the return at all, said that my first purchase was on august 15th and he could use that date to refuse me, even with my online purchase being on 17th of this month. Informed him that I had a witness that if I did the online purchase that way I could not get my cash back, he responded with he has 16 witness saying that I was informed. at the end he said he would call some office on Monday and see if he could get the gift card refunded and said I was not to come back into his store. Band from bestbuy for doing 4 returns on one product... I did not yell or cause a seen, it was very obvious I was upset.

raqball

A friend of mine had a similar experience a few years ago.. She returned the same tablet 3 times because they all had issues. I think it was a Galaxy Tab but I can't remember. They flagged her for returns and when she asked for a manager the guy was a complete jerk.

After hearing her story I have avoided Best Buy almost completely. I did buy my SP3 there because I did not feel like dealing with the LA traffic to get to the Beverly Hills Microsoft store.

In the past few years since I've avoided them, I can't even begin to think about the amount of money they lost just from her and I not going there. She spends a lot yearly on electronics and I spend a TON.

Since my SP3 purchase I have not been back to Best Buy and I've probably spent another $800-$900 on products I could have gotten from them..

I won't go back. I almost feel bad having purchased my SP3 there. Any company that treats it's customers like they do does not deserve a single penny from me..

Geek.Verve

Luckily the people at my local Best Buy are really nice and helpful (some could use a bit more training, though). I returned my i5 SP3 and ordered the i7. They were really cool about it - even getting the difference in price added to my original 12-month interest-free financing deal. We typically buy all our cell phones there as well, and they've generally been good to deal with.

I've always heard that Best Buy treats their employees like crap, though. I guess like anything else, there are good ones and not so good ones.

OP
K

Kris

I have bought a few other things there in the last couple weeks including my router and thinking about returning them and ordering them online just because of the way I was treated today. Then again I'm not suppose to go into the store again... Like Raqball I spend tons of money each year on electronics and from this point on they won't see a cent of it. If Costco doesn't carry it I can order it online.

qwertyy

Funny how some people mention this. I also had some issues with Best Buy recently. The first time I exchanged my SP3, the girl who was doing the exchange process was acting very rude. I felt like a school boy being punished by a teacher. Anyways, the second device I got had a clear dead pixel so I ended up returning it. Now I am surfaceless :(

kundas1

no wonder BB is going down the tubes! they always practice shady return policies on people or don't honor price matches or other shady stuff they do to customers... Walmart, Costco and other places have good return policies and don't give you hassles... as much as BB and FS that is

OP
K

Kris

I have told a few family and friends today about what happened and they are flabbergasted that I got banned from the store for 4 returns... I saw my town lose Circuit City years ago and was sad to see it go, I might throw a party when best buy leaves town.

qwertyy

I have told a few family and friends today about what happened and they are flabbergasted that I got banned from the store for 4 returns... I saw my town lose Circuit City years ago and was sad to see it go, I might throw a party when best buy leaves town.

I can't believe you got banned.. Why would they ban you? They're gonna send those returned items back to MS anyways

annabanana

That's terrible. I've always had positive experiences at my local BestBuy and have purchased a lot of electronics and other items there. The sales guy at the Surface counter is very knowledgeable about it and bought the I7 for himself. He's showed me lots of neat things about it. Staples has the SP3 and so does Fry's. Fry's is showing the I7 available in my local store.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sometimes its just they way you approach things ... if you find you end up in pissing matches.

Just saying.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Huh?

Why do you assume the OP was the problem? Best Buy has a bad rap and is well know for crappy customer service..
I read his/her posts and have been around the block a few times. :)

I'm not suggesting BB in general or the individuals at the specific BB store are saints. I'm just suggesting YMMV based on the approach you take. I've seen people that know how to evoke bad customer service from the most saintly and others who get service from otherwise scum sucking bottom feeders. Flies and honey and all that...