What's new

Best Way to Read Kindle Books??

WHBizlaw

My wife currently uses an old 10" Galaxy Tablet, running an older version of Android. Battery life is getting poor, it's just not running well in general (despite a recent factory reset), etc. She's not happy with it, and we're planning on getting something newer/better.

The Galaxy Tab S3 is the current version in the 10" size that she wants, but even on sale is $450, which seems over-priced for the hardware and OS. I have a Microsoft Surface 3 (the older, 10" size, Windows 8.0, which I love), so thought about getting her a Windows device.

Lenovo is about to come out with a "Tablet 10" which is basically a 10" Microsoft Surface, smaller/lighter. CPU not quite as fast as a Surface Pro, but should be fine for general purposes. 4gb RAM, 128 eMMC, Windows 10 Pro, keyboard included. A SP4 would be more powerful, but the smaller size is more important.

But the questions I'm asking pertain to the Surface Pro 4, so thought I'd ask here.

She uses her tablet a lot to read Kindle Books, shop at Amazon, read Library books through Overdrive, Facebook, Instagram, general web browsing, etc.

As I've read reviews of Windows-based "Apps" for these various functions, they're not particularly encouraging. Often 40-50% 1 star reviews.

So I'm wondering if she would be happier with another (overpriced) Galaxy Tablet, rather than being unhappy with how a Windows 10 PC handles Kindle, Amazon, etc., in its Tablet mode.

Input appreciated, for those of you who use your Surface with this type of 'Android Tablet' functionality - what apps do you use, do they work as well as their Android equivalent?

Kindle is crucial - if this can't be handled well, that's a deal-killer right there.

Any other thoughts?
If she currently uses Overdrive, they have a native app called Libby that I use on my Surface Pro. Overdrive also allows her to download a checked out book directly to the Kindle app as well and I believe that they auto-sync so she can switch between devices without losing her place.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My wife currently uses an old 10" Galaxy Tablet, running an older version of Android. Battery life is getting poor, it's just not running well in general (despite a recent factory reset), etc. She's not happy with it, and we're planning on getting something newer/better.

The Galaxy Tab S3 is the current version in the 10" size that she wants, but even on sale is $450, which seems over-priced for the hardware and OS. I have a Microsoft Surface 3 (the older, 10" size, Windows 8.0, which I love), so thought about getting her a Windows device.

Lenovo is about to come out with a "Tablet 10" which is basically a 10" Microsoft Surface, smaller/lighter. CPU not quite as fast as a Surface Pro, but should be fine for general purposes. 4gb RAM, 128 eMMC, Windows 10 Pro, keyboard included. A SP4 would be more powerful, but the smaller size is more important.

But the questions I'm asking pertain to the Surface Pro 4, so thought I'd ask here.

She uses her tablet a lot to read Kindle Books, shop at Amazon, read Library books through Overdrive, Facebook, Instagram, general web browsing, etc.

As I've read reviews of Windows-based "Apps" for these various functions, they're not particularly encouraging. Often 40-50% 1 star reviews.

So I'm wondering if she would be happier with another (overpriced) Galaxy Tablet, rather than being unhappy with how a Windows 10 PC handles Kindle, Amazon, etc., in its Tablet mode.

Input appreciated, for those of you who use your Surface with this type of 'Android Tablet' functionality - what apps do you use, do they work as well as their Android equivalent?

Kindle is crucial - if this can't be handled well, that's a deal-killer right there.

Any other thoughts?

If I were you I would purchase a Kindle ($125) and a Samsung Tab A 10" tablet ($250). You are all in at $375 and she has everything she needs. I just can't read books on any of my tablets after reading them on an actual Kindle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D

DLCPhoto

If I were you I would purchase a Kindle ($125) and a Samsung Tab A 10" tablet ($250). You are all in at $375 and she has everything she needs. I just can't read books on any of my tablets after reading them on an actual Kindle.

I appreciate the reply.

She actually does have a Kindle, and uses this when reading outdoors. But inside, she much prefers the larger screen size of the Galaxy Tablet.

I looked at the older Samsung tablets, but am reluctant to spend money on a several generation old product, with an older OS which won't get updates for as long, with lower horsepower, etc. She does get frustrated at times with her current tablet, with lagging, poor performance, etc., beyond the horrible battery life.

Based on what I've read here, and elsewhere, I'm not going the Windows route, and am waiting for the Galaxy S4 to be released, hoping it will drop the S3 prices to a more reasonable level.

Thanks again.

OP
D

DLCPhoto

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074TR4CS6?tag=p00935-20&ascsubtag=02J4ASFOI1EdITVaE9iIVnV#

Refurbished for $399.95 BUT I hear the S4 will land very soon so that price drop may not be too far off.

Then again PCmag says that Amazon Fire HD 10 for $150 is the best value Tablet.
https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2413145,00.asp?path=zpc-15928-mpc-102j1a&creative=77653076100880&device=c&dps=1&keyword=77653177974305&source=s

Thanks.
I have considered the Fire HD, but worry that the absence of the full Google 'ecosystem' could be problematic. The price is certainly right.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks.
I have considered the Fire HD, but worry that the absence of the full Google 'ecosystem' could be problematic. The price is certainly right.
It's doesn't matter so much about all the apps in the Full Google ecosystem if all the apps you use or need are available via Amazon.

OP
D

DLCPhoto

True. But we're pretty tied into GMail, Chrome, Calendar, etc.

And I do know that you can install the full Google Play store, but from what I've been reading, things sometimes get quirky (e.g. Kindle), and issues need to be dealt with (disabling auto update for some apps, etc.).

I want this to be as problem-free and straight forward as possible for her (since I'll be the one having to trouble-shoot problems anyway), and I'm just not all that confident that with as much as we're tied into the full Android ecosystem (she with her S8, me with my Note 8), that this would be a smooth ride.

I haven't eliminated it as an option, though, and if the S3 doesn't drop in price significantly, will have to revisit it. Thanks for reminding me about it.

I have SP4 and SB2 13 and use a Kindle paperwhite still. I would also use my iPhone7 Plus in a pinch.

I am the same. Have a SP4 and almost always read on my Paperwhite. I do have the Kindle app on my iPhone with it's widget setup so that, if out, and wishing to read for a few minutes I can swipe left and quick launch the book I want to read.

Edited: Corrected mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk