What's new

Best USB GPS reciever for the Surface Pro

MMU

It appears to me that any GPS/Mapping application used on the Surface Pro would be greatly handicapped if it were not touch enabled (especially for zoom and scroll). Otherwise I would want the keyboard attached or a mouse or stylus. Then I would need the SP mounted.

I imagine if the scroll and zoom sliders were user configurable in terms of size and location then such an app could be usable in pure tablet/touchscreen mode. I would also want the top menus to be user configurable in terms of size and location.

Can anyone confirm whether the Delorme and/or MS mapping software is configurable in this way? I've already used the "Chat with a Rep" feature of the MS store but the result was less than definitive and totally unsatisfactory. The rep answered "Absolutely, the software is configurable for size and location" without clarifying whether the menus and zoom/scroll sliders could be configured in this way (which is what my original question was).

I wonder how long it will be before fully touch enabled mapping software is available. That would be a killer app, particularly if it worked with a Bluetooth GPS with internal rechargeable battery to eliminate USB cord clutter in the field. The biggest issue with current handheld GPS mapping hardware is low screen resolution (or very high cost).

Thanks!

Russ

Can anyone confirm whether the Delorme and/or MS mapping software is configurable in this way?
particularly if it worked with a Bluetooth GPS with internal rechargeable battery to eliminate USB cord clutter in the field.

MMU --

Partly "Yes," and partly "No."

The Delorme Street Atlas 2013 is touch enabled, and responds to the "two finger resizing" method within the map, itself. However, I am not able to resize the menu items by touch.

Another annoyance is that I have a Bluetooth GPS unit from Delorme (with internal rechargeable battery), but cannot pair it with my Pro. There is an enabling driver from Delorme, but it will not install under Win8 64-bit. (It does work on my Win7 Pro 64-bit laptop.) I really don't think Delorme will work on this issue, as smartphones and web apps have sufficiently encroached on their basic business that they are putting their resources elsewhere. I do have a USB GPS and it works just fine, but Bluetooth would be so much better.

EDIT: Problem Solved. RTFM (or, in this case, substitute "Online Support" for "M").

Regards,
Russ

Last edited:

machistmo

Google Maps App + iPhone 5?

My iPhone 5 works best. Why would I want to use a tablet when out and about mobile? I mean I have just never even considered that my tablet needed to perform this function.

JohnF

My iPhone 5 works best. Why would I want to use a tablet when out and about mobile? I mean I have just never even considered that my tablet needed to perform this function.

I would like this while driving on road trips. Much bigger screen to view area maps on.

MMU

An iPhone doesn't have enough screen resolution to display maps in the manner I require.

machistmo

Sounds like a nice niche market for MS to add something for the Windows Phone8 to compliment the tablet? BT style?

wlmaker

I use a Samsung UMPC with Delorme Topo Maps and their Earthmate USB GPS receiver. I am thinking of switching to the Surface Pro but am concerned about the screen contrast and brightness for an in vehicle application. Have you used the SP in a vehicle or outdoor environment? Are the maps readable?
Thanks for any input....
Don

68bucks

I would like to use the SP for navigation while traveling also. Mainly for in the car rather than having a separate GPS to drag along. I read the entire thread and it seems ridiculous the gyrations necessary for what I think should be a basic capability for a travel device. I mean GPS dongles, running old software, tethering to a iPhone, it all seems crazy, like a giant step backward. I tried all this stuff with a laptop and gave it up because of the hassle.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Well essentially that is it, the SP is a laptop. They probably should have included GPS in both Surfaces but this is a first gen device that is not a phone and there are other considerations and trade offs making it somewhat understandable.

riley2323

Most folks will not have two separate data plans and chances are the data will come from wifi or from a tethered phone. If you are tethering for data, might as well tether the GPS signal too.

Smokey Forester

I just bought Surface Pro today specifically to use with Streets and Trips 2013. I've tried to install the software (haven't even gotten to GPS yet!) and keep getting error: "The program can't start because mcf100.dll is missing from your computer. Try installing the program to fix this program." I've tried a number of times and to no avail.

I've also installed all 27 Windows 8 updates. I've installed Visual ++ and NET Framework. Same error message. Please help me if you can!

Thanks,

Smokey Forester
[email protected]