What's new

Best Remote Desktop App for SP3

WhoDatSurface

Looking for remote desktop app for my SP3 to remotely control my Windows 7 laptop. Ease of use and security are what I'm mainly looking for. I tried Team Viewer, which seemed to work fine at first, but when I loaded it onto my laptop, a bunch of crapware loaded with it so I uninstalled it. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Oh, and I LOVE my SP3; it works great for everything I do. I haven't felt love like this since high school. :D

Kris

I use team viewer, just made sure it didn't install any extras... works great and easiest I could find. There is even a touch version of it in the app store...

OP
WhoDatSurface

WhoDatSurface

I use team viewer, just made sure it didn't install any extras... works great and easiest I could find. There is even a touch version of it in the app store...
Yeah I foolishly just started hitting the ACCEPT button a few times before I realized what I was doing. :eek: If no one has a better solution, I may try re-installing it.

ScottyS

Have you tried MS's Remote Desktop? I'm not an IT guy but the head of our IT set up a gateway server and I just copied that url in the settings and have all our network apps as shortcuts on the Remote Desktop window. Each opens in a window on my desktop like I'm on the network at work plus when I type my work computer's name into the connect to field I connect to that too.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
LogMeIn works great for me for VNC, file transfer/FTP, and multiple-computer account management.
I am a freelance IT administrator for a few organizations.

See it here. I use LogMeIn from PC to PC, Mac to Mac, PC to Mac, Mac to PC, and iPhone or iPad to either.

ctitanic

Mocha VNC in Windows Store. Works with any VNC server installed in the remote PC. Besides that I use Remote Desktop and TeamViewer.

bluegrass

Looking for remote desktop app for my SP3 to remotely control my Windows 7 laptop. Ease of use and security are what I'm mainly looking for. I tried Team Viewer, which seemed to work fine at first, but when I loaded it onto my laptop, a bunch of crapware loaded with it so I uninstalled it. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Oh, and I LOVE my SP3; it works great for everything I do. I haven't felt love like this since high school. :D

Yes even good stuff sometimes comes with crap. I just checked my trusty app downloader utility - ninite.com and it had Team Viewer listed. Ninite will always download the latest version and won't download any crapware. I am using Team Viewer and have had no complaints. I'm not a heavy remote user though. I have a list of about 6 to 10 apps that I use ninite.com for when I'm setting up a new computer for one of my users here where I work. Give it a try. My ex clued me in on Ninite. Bless her heart. She works for a community college and I think she has passed me up in computer tech knowledge and I've been at it for 45 years.

Liam2349

Have you tried MS's Remote Desktop? I'm not an IT guy but the head of our IT set up a gateway server and I just copied that url in the settings and have all our network apps as shortcuts on the Remote Desktop window. Each opens in a window on my desktop like I'm on the network at work plus when I type my work computer's name into the connect to field I connect to that too.

I like the official remote desktop app, but it always logs off the PC when I disconnect from it - often, I want to leave it logged in. Any way to change this?

OP
WhoDatSurface

WhoDatSurface

I went ahead and re-loaded Team Viewer minus the crapware. It works really well and is very easy to use. Once my two computers were set up (laptop and SP3), which took all of about 3 minutes, it's press one button on my SP3 and "PRESTO"-I've got remote access to my laptop. It does what I need so I went ahead and purchased a business license (interestingly, they trust users to identify if they are using it for personal use, which is free, or for commercial use, for which they ask you purchase a license).

I have GoToMeeting (which at least allows you to show/share your screen with meeting participants) but when I shared my laptop desktop with meeting participants, I couldn't see my laptop desktop on my SP3. This was the case for both the MUI and desktop versions of GoToMeeting.

Anyway, thanks to all for your input and suggestions.

I use TeamViewer and it has worked really good for me (used to be with LogMeIn but then they started charging). Main reason I use it is my grandparents and parents are always having issues with their computers so I just put all of their computers on my account and it makes things a lot easier for me. Never had an issue with it but like others have warned watch out for the added junk they try to get on there.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I went ahead and re-loaded Team Viewer minus the crapware. It works really well and is very easy to use. Once my two computers were set up (laptop and SP3), which took all of about 3 minutes, it's press one button on my SP3 and "PRESTO"-I've got remote access to my laptop. It does what I need so I went ahead and purchased a business license (interestingly, they trust users to identify if they are using it for personal use, which is free, or for commercial use, for which they ask you purchase a license).

I have GoToMeeting (which at least allows you to show/share your screen with meeting participants) but when I shared my laptop desktop with meeting participants, I couldn't see my laptop desktop on my SP3. This was the case for both the MUI and desktop versions of GoToMeeting.

Anyway, thanks to all for your input and suggestions.
Re personal vs corp use. I'm sure they could collect meta data from connections that would easily sort that out. :)