What's new

best android emulator

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is it any good? By good, I'm mostly asking about power consumption/fan noise. It looks interesting.
I think it depends on your perspective... as we know OZ wasn't all it was cracked up to be but the Lion got a heart, the Tin man got a brain, and the Scarecrow got courage... or did they... :) Somewhere over the rainbow Android Apps are running on Windows and people are happy... and Toto too. :D

Last I checked all of these emulators were still less than 1.0 releases.

Really the Scarecrow got the brain, the Tin Man got the heart, and the Lion got courage.

Liam2349

I think it depends on your perspective... as we know OZ wasn't all it was cracked up to be but the Lion got a heart, the Tin man got a brain, and the Scarecrow got courage... or did they... :) Somewhere over the rainbow Android Apps are running on Windows and people are happy... and Toto too. :D

Last I checked all of these emulators were still less than 1.0 releases.

Really the Scarecrow got the brain, the Tin Man got the heart, and the Lion got courage.

I see, perhaps I will test it.

fonsecaj

Is it any good? By good, I'm mostly asking about power consumption/fan noise. It looks interesting.

It depends what you're doing with it. Gaming on it will crank the fan up and use a lot of battery. I watched some HBO Go on it and wasn't too bad. Doing stuff like browsing or reading magazines in the Kindle app (the Win8 version doesn't do mags) invokes no fan at all. Chrome on it is actually pretty good. Much better behaved than running it native on Windows, I think.

It's got a 30 day fully functional demo, so no harm in see how it does first hand.

Liam2349

It depends what you're doing with it. Gaming on it will crank the fan up and use a lot of battery. I watched some HBO Go on it and wasn't too bad. Doing stuff like browsing or reading magazines in the Kindle app (the Win8 version doesn't do mags) invokes no fan at all. Chrome on it is actually pretty good. Much better behaved than running it native on Windows, I think.

It's got a 30 day fully functional demo, so no harm in see how it does first hand.

That sounds good then - I actually just tried Chrome again after reading something on Reddit and my Surface was hot with an audible fan in minutes of doing nothing.

I'll go try this emulator.

fonsecaj

It actually seems to work quite well. Anyone know when they will update the version?

You mean like go to Android 5? I don't think AMI has commented on a time frame for that. Given the fact that they only got this version working right just last week I wouldn't count on it anytime soon.

Liam2349

You mean like go to Android 5? I don't think AMI has commented on a time frame for that. Given the fact that they only got this version working right just last week I wouldn't count on it anytime soon.

Or at least 4.3. I am impressed with how it runs, but 4.3 is pretty much the minimum these days if you want to run any recent apps.

Umut

I suggest genymotion, with a right VM image you can find on the net, it will provide you a good emulator experience with proper gpu acceleration support. All the games or apps I've tried worked great.

bluegrass

If I wanted to use Android apps (I use to own an Android, I'd just pick up a cheap Android tablet. There a dozens of them out there. I've never heard of any OS emulators that didn't have a significant impact on speed, but I suppose if there was one useful app that only ran on an Android, it might push me to try. I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen.