What's new

Battery icon animation stops

shadwellal

I've just got a Surface Pro 4 i5 and when it's charging, the battery icon animation works and shows the battery filling for about 30 seconds and then freezes. If I click on the icon the percentage and time to full charge also remain frozen, but the battery does charge normally. As soon as I remove the charing lead it shows the correct battery percentage. I've tried resetting and reinstalling Windows (but not yet tried to recover from the cloud). I've installed all the available updates. Any suggestions? I'm still within the return period but since it looks like a Windows bug a replacement device may be the same.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum.

I've experienced the same. It resolved itself at some point (granted i'm on the fast track insider program). Given it is nothing but cosmetic, I really never gave it a second thought, certainly not enough to re-install windows.

OP
S

shadwellal

Welcome to the forum.

I've experienced the same. It resolved itself at some point (granted i'm on the fast track insider program). Given it is nothing but cosmetic, I really never gave it a second thought, certainly not enough to re-install windows.

OK, thanks. I'll ignore it and wait for it sort itself out with a future upgrade. I only reinstalled Windows because the machine was brand new and had absolutely nothing on it yet so it was a straightforward procedure.

RyanF

I just bought my SP4 and got the same problem. got a replacement yesterday and the new one has the same problem:S anyone has a solution?

RyanF

I've just got a Surface Pro 4 i5 and when it's charging, the battery icon animation works and shows the battery filling for about 30 seconds and then freezes. If I click on the icon the percentage and time to full charge also remain frozen, but the battery does charge normally. As soon as I remove the charing lead it shows the correct battery percentage. I've tried resetting and reinstalling Windows (but not yet tried to recover from the cloud). I've installed all the available updates. Any suggestions? I'm still within the return period but since it looks like a Windows bug a replacement device may be the same.
hello did you solve this issue?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I think this is how the Surface has been working with Windows 10 since the start. Not a high priority at this time.

"Normal" behavior. We just need a new "normal".

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Understanding that if you paid a price for something, you want it to work as it should. Have you attempted to turn the icon off / on to see if this clears the issue up? Check here ( Fix: Battery Icon Missing From Windows 10/8/7 Taskbar ) to find instructions on how to turn on / off the icon. While I agree with "sharpuser" that it's really not a high priority, to me - its the small things that drive me nuts. I would turn it off, reboot, turn it back on, reboot and observe. Hope this solves or helps your error.