What's new

Battery Drain even when plugged?

ChiGGz

Noticed once in a while when I'm playing games that the battery is draining even though I'm plugged in and was @ 100% prior to gaming.

Is this a common thing or should I get this checked out? I'm pretty sure the power isn't coming loose.

My USB peripherals are connected to an externally charged 3.0 HUB.

nipponham

Playing games is taxing on power resources and it’s common to get a net negative charge (energy consumed>energy input) depending on the game played, particularly with the low amperage chargers for portable devices. This shouldn't be happening for “simple” 2D puzzle games, but if you’re playing FPS with high frame rates, totally understandable.

Although I haven’t experienced this myself because I don’t play games, you will find similar complaints from users who play CPU/GPU heavy games on laptops and tablets.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Noticed once in a while when I'm playing games that the battery is draining even though I'm plugged in and was @ 100% prior to gaming.

Is this a common thing or should I get this checked out? I'm pretty sure the power isn't coming loose.

My USB peripherals are connected to an externally charged 3.0 HUB.
How far is it going down? The battery charging circuit, to prevent overcharging, will stop after it reaches 100% and let the battery drop to 93/94 percent before beginning to charge again. Laptops have various twists on this scheme depending on the battery charging plan selected. My Lenovo on the extended battery life plan slow charges and lets the battery run down to 4x%.

OP
C

ChiGGz

I agree that playing games or circuitry logic could be the cause of this. I guess at least I'm hoping to correlate my experience with those of others, otherwise I have a issue specific to my Surface.

I'm seeing it drop as low as 85%, and only notice it after I've finished my game (up to one hr but I've been known to binge game up to 2 hrs). The game is definitely harder on the resources as I see the CPU usage going 90%+

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Only game ive ever played for a significant period on the sp3 is counter strike source (offline, about 30 bots) but have never seen my battery effected in any say. Always sat telling me its at 100 percent.