What's new

Solved battery charging

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
What did you use to charge it with, a 1 amp charger? I'm overwhelmed by all the details. ;)

OP
I

Intranetsites

using the Microsoft oem charger that came with my surface 3
the pretty micro USB cord lights up when connected but the battery indicator indicates not charging
I have suspected the micro USB connection is getting loose.. this is a 3 month out surface 3
I have disconnected the keyboard but I see no difference in faster charging
I have shut down surface completely and then charged and it takes 12 hours to charge

battery drops even though I am plugged in and brightness is at 25% i seem to get 4 hours

I would have thought plugged in would maintain the charge but NO the battery still drops to zero in 4 hours.

So feels like heavy battery drain.. maybe something is sucking my battery down

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Install Battery Bar it will show charge or discharge rates in mw.
Sitting idle a Surface 3 will discharge at about 2000 +/- mw plugged into the charger it should charge at about 6600 mw but could vary 2000 mw. Running a benchmark test it will burn 8900 mw on battery.

You may have a charger problem but the numbers from Battery Bar should help determine where then problem is.

Do you have any other USB chargers that are rated at 2-2.5A 10-12W?

OP
I

Intranetsites

Ok after test 3 micro USB cords it turned out to be the cord.
Now the tablet indicates charging

Takes ? 5 hours to charge.

Never thought I would have 2 bad cables in a row
Ms charger works fine

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok after test 3 micro USB cords it turned out to be the cord.
Now the tablet indicates charging

Takes ? 5 hours to charge.

Never thought I would have 2 bad cables in a row
Ms charger works fine

Why do you say 2 bad cables in a row? 5 hours is about right for charging the S3

OP
I

Intranetsites

I switched my original ms charging cable with another of my own generic cables and it did not work
Then I switched that cable for yet another and low and behold it did work. So during the process of elimination I would have never guessed I could have my second charging cable not work... good thing I tried a 3rd.