What's new

Battery capacity (mWh) dropping fast

mahdi75

Here's what I get from battery monitor:
capacity.jpg

I think it was 42,484 from the beginning (I refreshed my PC at 2014-09-27, so I don't have previous data)

But as you can see, it dropped from 42,484 to 41,888 in just a few days.

Is it normal? What should I do?

I'm really worried about this, because I live in Iran, so I can't ask for replacement easily (I have to ship it to other country if something bad happens to my Surface)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
How far does your battery discharge on a normal basis. Take it down to 10% then fully charge it.

Liam2349

Charge your battery to 100%, leave it at 100% for half an hour or so to make sure it's properly maxed, then drain it completely until the device shuts down.

After this, post what your new maximum capacity is.

OP
mahdi75

mahdi75

Oh, seems that this is changing randomly.
The device was plugged in whole night, and now it's capacity is 42,104.
I'll try draining battery till 10% if it started to decrease again.

Liam2349

Oh, seems that this is changing randomly.
The device was plugged in whole night, and now it's capacity is 42,104.
I'll try draining battery till 10% if it started to decrease again.

Not to 10%, but until the device shuts down.

wynand32

I've noticed that the battery wear on mine has been all over the map as well. It seems very related to whether or not I use it on battery or keep it plugged in--when I use it on battery, the indicated wear seems to vary more, but once I plug it in it eventually returns at least to 0% wear.

It does seem like the SP3 varies more in this metric, but I've also had notebooks with batteries that wore much more quickly and never recovered.

my SP3 256GB battery wear is at 3.1% according to battery bar with max capacity now at 40,850mWh. I had the device since launch.