What's new

Battery Capacity Indicator Error

johnix99

I've had the SP2 for about a week. Today, noticed that even when unplugged, the battery was still showing 100% after about 30 minutes of use on battery. That seemed odd.

So....ran a powercfg /batteryreport in the cmd prompt and interestingly enough, it tells me I have 23,576 mWh in full charge capacity out of the 42,002 mWh in design capacity.

However...below that, it also says I am at 171 % capacity remaining.

Hence, the battery seems fine and is holding the charge, but for some reason, the battery is telling the computer it only has 23K mWh of capacity, hence i'm not getting an accurate battery reading on my desktop.

Any thoughts? I've refreshed, and even just finished reinstalling windows from scratch and the issue remains.

Planning on returning it tomorrow to the store....but if any ideas, I'm all ears.....
thanks!
John

hotphil

Aren't a few full charge/discharge until auto-shutdown cycles are normally needed to calibrate them bad boys?

Projeckt_Mahy3m

I'm having issues with the battery indicator on my Surface Pro 2 as well.

The battery indicator indicates 10% and charging, but the indicator does not move beyond 10%.

To experiment I did the following:

1) Charged the unit full over night. The next morning it reported 6%.
2) Ran the system all day w/o AC power and got approximately 5 hours of life before it completely died. (this proved the battery actually had juice and it was an indicator error)
3) Charged the unit fully and the indicator correctly reported 100%. (thought I was in the clear)
4) Ran the system all day w/o AC power and got approximately 5 hours of life before it completely died.
5) Now the system seems to be incorrectly reporting battery capacity again. Stuck at 10%, when in reality I have a full battery.

Am I looking at a faulty sensor? Is this a firmware bug?

Possibly related: I put the Surface Pro 2 into Sleep mode via the OS and put it into my travel sleeve. The system didn't actually shut off. 3 hours later, I discovered the Surface Pro 2 fan running at 100% trying to cool the unit. It wouldn't boot because of an overheat condition. I have slight concerns the sensor 'might' have fried?

FWIW, I'm not having any issues on my Surface Pro 1.

Last edited:

Joypat

I'm having issues with the battery indicator on my Surface Pro 2 as well.

The battery indicator indicates 10% and charging, but the indicator does not move beyond 10%.

To experiment I did the following:

1) Charged the unit full over night. The next morning it reported 6%.
2) Ran the system all day w/o AC power and got approximately 5 hours of life before it completely died. (this proved the battery actually had juice and it was an indicator error)
3) Charged the unit fully and the indicator correctly reported 100%. (thought I was in the clear)
4) Ran the system all day w/o AC power and got approximately 5 hours of life before it completely died.
5) Now the system seems to be incorrectly reporting battery capacity again. Stuck at 10%, when in reality I have a full battery.

Am I looking at a faulty sensor? Is this a firmware bug?

Possibly related: I put the Surface Pro 2 into Sleep mode via the OS and put it into my travel sleeve. The system didn't actually shut off. 3 hours later, I discovered the Surface Pro 2 fan running at 100% trying to cool the unit. It wouldn't boot because of an overheat condition. I have slight concerns the sensor 'might' have fried?

FWIW, I'm not having any issues on my Surface Pro 1.

For me this was the firmware making this bug. Do an hard reset of your SP2 and it will be solved for now, worked for me.

Projeckt_Mahy3m

HA! Actually I just got through hard resetting, because I read in another thread it was a temporary fix. Seems to have fixed me for now.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm relieved to hear that I'm not the only one and it's more than likely a firmware issue. I was concerned I might have fried something when it overheated.