What's new

Battery Almost Shot at 26 Months

rjbinney

Have a Pro 1796 i7 (that's the "unnumbered" model between 4 and 6). Was a warranty replacement on my 4 in October 2019.

I am lucky to get an hour on my battery - with "Battery Saver" running and Wi Fi turned off. That's bad. (And it will show it's at 38 percent and then go into shutdown within minutes). Also bad.

It loses about ten percent over night, sitting in my briefcase. (If I do
Code:
shutdown /s /t 0
it loses about three or four percent.)

(For giggles, I pulled out my wife's Pro 3 and charged it up and let it sit for a day and a half with just the lid closed - it was at 99% when I opened it back up).

But here's the kicker:
Last night, it went from 72% to 0% sitting in my bag. So I figured maybe some app was running that prevented it from shutting down. So I ran a power report. It shows that it was HIBERNATING.

I don't have the $$$ for a new PC, what suggestions do folks have? Thanks.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I assume your CPU is i7-7660U
can you post the full SleepStudy report? IDK if it will help but I don't get anything out of the images posted.
not sure if anything can be done if the battery is truly failing outside of shutting down all but the minimal necessary processes to use as little power as possible. The somewhat risky process of battery replacement may be a last resort if you have skills...

OP
rjbinney

rjbinney

Yup, i7-7660U 2.5GHz.

I *would*post the report, but it does have lots of personal info that I'm leery about putting "out there"... Are there specific sections that would be most useful? Is there something I can look for to let me know what's interfering with Sleep? (Again, closed the lid, threw in briefcase, and this morning was zero percent... And of course "Close Lid" should go to Sleep on battery...)

(I looked into battery replacement a while back, that seems daunting).

Thanks,

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
hard to summarize succinctly ... but start with the biggest offender in the first section. Green is good, Red is bad. drill into the Reds to find something draining the battery. you could also focus on a specific time.

watch the video, look at the report, refer back to the doc...

Do not try to bend the spoon, that is impossible ... try only to solve the biggest drains

Last edited:

Turbo4AWD

Yeah, definitely sounds like something is up with this Surface Pro 8. My mother in law's Pro 8 hasn't had ANY of these kind of battery issues in her 6 months of ownership and she uses it everyday for work whether on the go or docked. 6 months of use shouldn't ruin a battery THAT quickly.

Last edited: