What's new

Bad m3? I loose 25% battery per hour

Mikewired

I think I may have a bad m3? I loose about 25% battery per hr with light web surfing with edge and nothing else open and screen at 50%. That's terrible. BB is out of the m3 I may get an i5 and see how it goes.

leeshor

Restart and do nothing for 1 hour and see what the loss is. Edge can eat battery pretty seriously depenong on the sites you're visiting.

DavidZ

You're getting 4 hours on a full charge. That's on the low end, but not outside the range that everyone else is getting at this stage.

Hopefully, Microsoft will give us more battery time with future updates that run more efficiently with regard to the battery. In the meantime, we just need to be frugal with battery power in ways that are under our control.

bradl79

i have an i5 and i only get 3hr 50min on a full charge if that sometimes, i just use chrome and minor other things, i have cortana, bluetooth, gps and about everything else turned off, battery life sucks, but also i have a cover type and i think that drains the battery pretty fast too, i may try a BT keyboard and see if that does better.

bluegrass

" In the meantime, we just need to be frugal with battery power in ways that are under our control."

I wonder how many people run off of battery when there is an AC outlet close by. I run off of battery only when it is really necessary.

DavidZ

i have an i5 and i only get 3hr 50min on a full charge if that sometimes, i just use chrome and minor other things...

Chrome is a notorious battery drain on all mobile devices, not just the SP4.

Just Google "Chrome battery drain." You'll see a lot of articles around the middle of 2015 where they say that Google has finally decided to address the problem, but I see no articles saying that they solved the problem.

JordanAT

I have very low processor usage with Chrome windows open. This screen shot was taken with 5 chrome windows. 2 running Gmail as an app, one running Gcalendar as an app, one running Gvoice as an app, and this window I'm typing in with two other tabs open. I also have AutoCAD 2016 open, BluBeam Revu (acrobat reaer/annotation), MS Excel 2016, and a specialized structural analysis package - plus the 100 or so background processes. Chrome is running with about 5-6 add-ons (ublock, evernote, lastpass, and a few others).

Chrome may ask for a lot of processor cycles when it's running Flash, or actively running add-ons, but it's idle performance isn't killing my battery.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17803372/CPUwith chrome.jpg

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have very low processor usage with Chrome windows open. This screen shot was taken with 5 chrome windows. 2 running Gmail as an app, one running Gcalendar as an app, one running Gvoice as an app, and this window I'm typing in with two other tabs open. I also have AutoCAD 2016 open, BluBeam Revu (acrobat reaer/annotation), MS Excel 2016, and a specialized structural analysis package - plus the 100 or so background processes. Chrome is running with about 5-6 add-ons (ublock, evernote, lastpass, and a few others).

Chrome may ask for a lot of processor cycles when it's running Flash, or actively running add-ons, but it's idle performance isn't killing my battery.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17803372/CPUwith chrome.jpg
Chrome doesn't use up CPU cycles, what it does is more dastardly it prevents the CPU from taking it 15ms rest between cycles, it uses a low level programming trick to make the CPU only rest 1ms between for each tab open, that is what eats up the battery life...