What's new

Backlight bleed and bright spots on all devices?

Well, I am shipping my Surface Pro X SQ2 back tomorrow (July 6, 2022). I had to hold on to it because I was giving classes online and needed that great camera and those wonderful studio microphones. Will tell you how it all goes in the end.

I love this device and I know that it is not for everyone.

Cheers,

Shawn
Got my replacement unit and all is well with it. Setting it up now at work as we speak.

Cheers,

Shawn

OP
Plantje

Plantje

Getting back a little bit to my initial issue. I held on to my current SP 2017 Advanced LTE. I feel it is due to the fact that it can be running quite hot every now and then. The spots appear in exactly the same area on each and every device. They get worse over time and never disappear.

The SP 2017 Advanced LTE is lacking an active cooling since the space is needed for the LTE modem. Does anyone know if the same applies to the SP7+ and the SP8 with LTE? Or even the SP X or SP 9 5G?

Found an answer for one of them:

Finally, turning to heat and fan noise, even the Core i5 model is now actively cooled. But while that fan kicks in under duress, e.g., Windows Update, compiling, rendering, or gaming, the fan itself is quiet, with only the whooshing of air being pushed through the chassis being audible. It's not loud, and there is no whine, but you will hear it. Compared to most Ultrabooks, however, I'd classify Surface Pro 8 as very quiet. During regular light use like web browsing, email, etc., it's silent.

I think it is a sign that they have added a fan again...

Last edited:

Turbo4AWD

Of course. After about 3 months, now touchscreen no longer works after an update. I have tried every solution. Sending it back again. Not upset at all! Just doing what needs to be done.
Ouch, man I can't believe my Surface Pro 6 has made it this long. Coming in here and finding out what you and Plantje have been going through is just insane.

OP
Plantje

Plantje

My Surface Pro is working just fine. It is just the bright spots that appear. Something of which I think it is a design error. I believe these are caused by a combination of heat and slight pressure on the screen (never too much by the way!) that makes internal components touch the backside of the LED panel.

My brother had a Surface Book 3. Top of the line! All maxed out. Had some BSODs and unable to boot. Sent it back. Second device: same issue. Then he went for the Dell XPS series.

But still.... I love the design of all Surface devices!

Ouch, man I can't believe my Surface Pro 6 has made it this long. Coming in here and finding out what you and Plantje have been going through is just insane.
I am glad that you do not have any problems. I am not sure if the thinness of the Surface Pro X is the problem.

I am tired of everything getting as thin as possible. Although I understand it, a device so thin is bound to have problems.