What's new

Audio Recording

joga

Hi,

i'm searching for an audio recording app for my Surface Pro which keeps recording when in the background.

Can anyone help?

joga

riggi

If you just want to record audio from the built in mic, then the Windows sound recorder will continue to record even if its not the active window.

If you want more control over your recording, or to do any editing of the audio file, then your options are vast given that you can run any windows app. Not sure what your needs are, but Audacity or REAPER might be a good place to start.

OP
J

joga

I use OneNote 2013 to make notes in meetings. Now i like to record the meetings too. Unfoftunately the audio quality in one note is terrible. I hear a lot of noise, even if i was sitting in a quiet room while recording some tests.

While using the Windows recorder the voices are very quiet. I can hardly understand it.

Any tips?

riggi

I haven't used the in built mic, but I'm guessing it's designed for skype calls. ie. low quality/bandwidth and designed to pick up someone facing the display. It might even have some noise cancelling to try and mute sounds not coming from directly in front of the screen, but I'm just speculating.

Have you checked the mic levels in the control panel? Right click on the speaker in the desktop notification area>Recording devices>Select the internal mic>Properties>Levels
There is a dB boost there as well. but it might make things sound distorted if they are too close and will raise your noise floor.

For a meeting, best bet would be to get an omnidirectional USB mic. Sit it in the middle of the table and it should pick up everyone fairly evenly (provided they are speaking at about the same volume).

If you want to be a bit more discreet or portable, then something small like the Samson USB GoMic might be good enough.

I don't think the 1/8" audio jack is a combo headphone/mic, but if it is, something like the iRig MicCast might work. I know it works well on Android devices with combo audio jacks.

surfash

Good to go!

If you just want to record audio from the built in mic, then the Windows sound recorder will continue to record even if its not the active window.

If you want more control over your recording, or to do any editing of the audio file, then your options are vast given that you can run any windows app. Not sure what your needs are, but Audacity or REAPER might be a good place to start.

I found that Windows Sound Recorder would pause when i changed apps, because as mentioned earlier one note + recorder are what i wanted. Audacity does the job nicely thanks for that!

RosalindaH

Audacity, man. Windows Sound Recorder will work just fine if you don't require much from your recording. Audacity is just more advanced, I think it's better in terms of options but that's just my opinion.

f4f

I was having some issues recording voice with OneNote and the Sound Recorder app. Turns out the mic sensitivity was turned all the way up. Once I adjusted the settings it worked great.

I haven't used Audacity for sound recording but I have edited tons of audio files with it. Glad to hear it works smoothly on the Surface.

Hi,

i'm searching for an audio recording app for my Surface Pro which keeps recording when in the background.

Can anyone help?

joga
High Criteria Total Recorder people just sent me this:
If you have Microsoft Surface 2 Pro, then Total Recorder version 8.5 should work correctly. If it is not Pro version then Windows 8.1 RT will be installed, under this system Total Recorder will not work.