What's new

Aspect Ratio

bondr007

I have an SP2 and an SP2017. One thing I wish they had done with the SP2017 is gone back to the 16:9 aspect ratio of the SP2. I am not a big fan of the 3:2 aspect ratio. Too squarish, and has black bars on top and bottom for movies, so you don't get the benefit of full screen. On the other hand, the 3:2 aspect ratio is better for working in MS Office programs. It's a trade off of entertainment for productivity. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I could never go back to a 16:9 - I hated it. For what I do on my machine 3:2 is excellent. I use OneNote, Office 365 - I'm a manager and a content creator and 3:2 gives me the room to get stuff done.

OP
bondr007

bondr007

I do agree with your assessment 100%. When I'm using Office 365, I really like the extra room on the screen. And, I like the bigger 12.3" screen on my SP2017. I guess I'll just use my SP2 for movies, and take advantage of the larger screen and 3:2 aspect ratio of my SP2017 for productivity.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
If the primary use is multmedia then you probably bought the wrong product. Other than for watching things, I far prefer 3:2. When I pick up my nexus tablets for browsing the web, I just can't really get over the letterboxing of either orientation. But they're far better for things like youtube, so one lives by the bed and the other by the bath, with a surface by the couch for browsing.