What's new

Are you excited to get a Surface Phone?

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Sound off if you can't wait to see what Microsoft creates with the first Surface branded smartphone!

Matt

only if it has an intel chip and full windows 10. Otherwise I'll stick to android. Almost jumped ship to a 950XL but the continuum feature looks good on the surface but dig a little deeper and doesn't actually deliver....

I don't expect to run desktop programs on the phone itself but if I hook up a display via continuum I expect to be able to access a desktop with file explorer at the very least.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Am I excited? Yes. Do I have high hopes? Not really. Hopefully they do this o e right, their last phones were a bit of a shambles after all the hype.

kundas1

oh def excited but it better look like this
surface-phone-2-concept-1.jpg

AND NOT LIKE THIS
43b267f7-736d-4ae8-9d0e-f92079602f18.jpg

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
What's Intel got they can put in it? at the moment not much and it seems it would be anemic so we can only pin our hopes on something they haven't announced yet being totally awesome. Holding breath... {puh} no just waiting to see what they give us. hmm, maybe SPh2 ... or 3 ;)

Pedrom

I'm almost tempted to hold off upgrading (probably to Android or iPhone) and wait for the Surface Phone instead. My Lumia 930 is ok, but I'm just a bit bored of it now. No other WP is compelling enough to splash the cash.
I just hope the Surface Phone is worth the wait. It could easily be just another WP which barely keeps up with other vendors - again. They need something new and genuinely inventive. I like the look of this hover-touch tech they showed off, but that's not enough on it's own.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Intel solved the Surface Phone riddle, they cancelled their Phone SoCs and beat a hasty exit stage left. Surface Phone will have an ARM SoC and the only hope of x86 on a phone is via emulation/binary translation. Continue-UM just became a bit less continuous... to be continued...

Last edited:

Pedrom

Intel solved the Surface Phone riddle, they cancelled their Phone SoCs and beat a hasty exit stage left. Surface Phone will have an ARM SoC and they only hope of x86 on a phone is via emulation/binary translation. Continue-UM just became a bit less continuous... to be continued...

Maybe AMD will take the spot?

lol jk

SEANT

. . . . I like the look of this hover-touch tech they showed off, . . . .

I'm more excited to see that come to the tablets - so MS can finally offer a good, hands only 'hover' option that many legacy application so desperately need.

Pedrom

I'm more excited to see that come to the tablets - so MS can finally offer a good, hands only 'hover' option that many legacy application so desperately need.

Ohhhh that's a good point. I never thought of that use. Would be very handy indeed. Might have some accuracy issues though, with small and close icons etc.

I'd still very much welcome it on Surface Phone too though! 3D touch as an added bonus.

SEANT

. . . . Might have some accuracy issues though, with small and close icons etc.
. . . .

There are some aspects (WRT accuracy and visibility) to the suggestion I made here that I like better:
Hover via Three Point Touch

But, I do think the 3D touch has more long-term versatility/expandability. I'll be happy if MS continues heavy developmental effort in that direction.