What's new

Are people exaggerating loud fan noise?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
When my fan really kicks up, it is audible, very audible. with it sat 2 meters away, both my partner and i could clearly hear it while watching a film on the tv. the vast majority of the time it's totally silent, but even hill climb racing and it start to go nuts.

ptrkhh

When my fan really kicks up, it is audible, very audible. with it sat 2 meters away, both my partner and i could clearly hear it while watching a film on the tv. the vast majority of the time it's totally silent, but even hill climb racing and it start to go nuts.
Really? Hill Climb Racing is absolutely fanless on mine. Its the i3 model though. The only time I have the fan running is when I setup the SP3 for the first time (updates, etc) and when I play rather demanding 3D games such as Asphalt 8 and desktop games. Otherwise, its an absolute fanless experience.

OP
G

goodintentions

I still don't hear the fan noise no matter how much I push my device with heavy duty software. Sure, I'll hear it if I put it up against my ear.

But I do take people's word for it, that they can hear the apparently loud fan noise. So, if you don't want a loud fan noise, why didn't you just buy an ipad? Or if you want windows, buy an atom tablet. Seems to me like there are very simple solutions for the deafening fan noise of the sp3.

Added by edit.

The reason I brought this up was because before I bought my device I was worried. Reading reviews online, I had the impression that the fan noise was loud enough to distract everyone in my office. There was even a tech review that said the fan noise was so horribly loud that it was a deal breaker.

So, when I finally got it, I tried to push it with everything I had. Sure, the back got hot. But unless I put the right side up against my ear, at no time was I able to hear the fan.

Perhaps tech reviewers exaggerate or even lie because the sp3 doesn't have an apple logo?

I'm just a little pissed off that I've been deceived about this one aspect.

Last edited:

dmillerzx

Play a 1080p youtube video for more than 10 minutes while on AC power volume muted and tell me you can't hear the fan.

OP
G

goodintentions

Play a 1080p youtube video for more than 10 minutes while on AC power volume muted and tell me you can't hear the fan.
I did. Still couldn't hear it. Only way to hear it was for me to put it up against my ear.

The only way I can see myself hearing it is if I lock myself in a sound proof room. You know, not at all what the real world is like.

I have yet to work in an office where there wasn't some white noise. And I sure as hell have never heard of an office that was sound proof and the boss fires anyone who makes a noise.

Even if you can hear the fan noise, it's not deafening. It's not loud. It's not even distracting. It's a non-issue that people lied to me about.

dmillerzx

Thanks for the continued sarcasm. I would ask you to perform the stated use case again just to be sure.

You apparently have a magical SP3, either that or the i3 version has considerable less fan noise, which might be likely as it produces less heat.

It's certainly not 'deafening' -not that I've seen anyone claim that. However it can be distracting and can get loud. Users are not simply lying / or making this up. There are plenty of youtube videos where people have recorded the fan noise also. I have seen my i5 version produce sounds similar to the video I'm linking to below both during video play back and while using the screen saver on AC power.

NeilG

Thanks for the continued sarcasm. I would ask you to perform the stated use case again just to be sure.

You apparently have a magical SP3, either that or the i3 version has considerable less fan noise, which might be likely as it produces less heat.

It's certainly not 'deafening' -not that I've seen anyone claim that. However it can be distracting and can get loud. Users are not simply lying / or making this up. There are plenty of youtube videos where people have recorded the fan noise also. I have seen my i5 version produce sounds similar to the video I'm linking to below both during video play back and while using the screen saver on AC power.

Sorry but the OP doesn't have a magical device, I have same model of SP and my experience is the same. You seem determined that no one can have a different opinion to your self.

dmillerzx

Sorry but the OP doesn't have a magical device, I have same model of SP and my experience is the same. You seem determined that no one can have a different opinion to your self.

Thanks for your feedback, would you mind plugging your SP3 into AC power and then playing a 1080P youtbe video for about 20 minutes with volume muted? Let me know if you still can't hear the fan spinning.