What's new

Anyone have problems with the mini Displayport jack?

ScottyS

I think my mini Displayport jack is broken. At first I thought it was the cable, but I switched to a new cable and still have the problem. I got thin dotted lines flashing across the screen like static on an old time TV and the picture goes black for a few seconds every few seconds. I can make it worse or sometimes better by jiggling the plug going into the Surface. My cable and monitor work fine when I plug in my wife's MacBook air.

olimjj

Your description perhaps suggests a loose or dirty connection. Blow out the port. You can use the crude method of using your mouth in a kissing position, with the unit off preferably. you can also clean the plug of your cable in this unsophisticated manner. Check that the plug is a good fit, there is sometimes a difference between ports and or plugs. If this fails then the next is drivers, software. If all fails tech support might be your next stop . BTW what display port cable were you using. Microsoft store model? Other?

OP
ScottyS

ScottyS

I blew out the port using a garage air compressor and it is definitely better, but not 100%. I still get those flashes of dotted white lines like static, but it is 70% better, and it hasn't cut off for a few seconds yet like it was every 10-20 seconds.

I'm using StarTech cables, I switched to a new one first since the old one had been separating where the wire came into the plug (had reinforced that with tape some time ago), but they are not a tight fit; they are rather loose.

I carry my surface around in the pocket of a lab coat at work, and take it out and set it on the table in the cafeteria at lunch. A droplet of coffee or gravy could easily have landed in the port. Since blowing with the air compressor did help, I'll do that some more and see.
Thanks.

olimjj

Glad you had some success. There is a contact enhancer, lubricant and preservative that you can use for such situations. It is called ProGold G5 by Caig Laboratories. To be used sparingly and applied indirectly. However you might have to bite the bullet and get a premium cable from the Microsoft Store/ Other, being as you don't have a tight fit.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It is most likely the angle of the Surface Pro preventing a good connection, I'm using the one designed for the Surface with no issues.

OP
ScottyS

ScottyS

<get a premium cable from the Microsoft Store> <I'm using the one designed for the Surface with no issues.>

I need mini-Displayport-to-Displayport, or mini-DP-to-miniDP to run my monitor at 2560x1440 and I need it to be 10 feet long. Do they have that? I see "Mini DisplayPort to HD AV Adapter" at the MS Store online but HD sounds like 1080 only. It's true the squared off plug doesn't fit in well as an angled one would.

olimjj

You can purchase a display port extender cable. This might provide some cable angle/torgue relief.

gangolfus

Look at Monoprice.com. They have high quality cables and connectors super cheap. I've been buying from them for a decade and never received anything but excellent products and customer service.